Well, I had an experience, that was both good and bad.

My 1992 Spirit was the perfect way of travelling across Canada, and back; a lot of miles and hours driving enjoying my country. But I digress, on the way home to the West Coast, just days from our homes, we had everyones worse nightmare, a blow head gasket. All I can say is that if you ever have to have a blown head gasket, do it in a place like Sorrento BC. We broke down in front of the only garage in town, and met a great team in the shop. No play games, or fearful estimates, or dirty tricks, just the facts and how else can we help you. We were able to secure a place to stay, within walking distance of the shop, for the duration while our rig was being repaired and the town folks we friendly and helpful.

It was a long repair, starting on Wednesday and ending Saturday afternoon. Lots of pacing, looking at our watches, going for walks and watching the Olympics, we were glad when they told us to come and pickup our rig.

How much more good news can there be you ask, well after we paid for the repairs and wished everyone well, we headed straight for home, thankful for workmanship and concern. Then what more can happen....well not all of the time I spent was watching TV or out walking, I spent a fair amount of time on the Internet, trying to determine what was the cause of this problem and I found out.

Apparently when the V6 was being designed back in 1986, the plan was to use asbestos headgaskets and they did use those gaskets until 1988, when the US and Canada banned asbestos use in most things. Toyota came up with an alternative, production carried on. Fast forward to today and it turns out, the solution was problematic and V6 engines started to experience premature head gasket failures and to Toyota's credit they offered to repair them or replace them free of charge. So when I found this out, I contacted Toyota and then checked into my vehicle and sure enough it had not had the repair done, by their records and so they sent me a cheque for the entire amount. It took them about two weeks or so to confirm the details and I am delighted to say it was easy, no grumbing or foot dragging, just sorry about that, here is the cheque and a handshake. This is after 20 years of running. I have met two other owners who have had a similar experience, same results. So if you have a Toyota V6 engine (3.0 Litre) built between 1987 to 1995, and have not had any work done on your rigs head gaskets, you may be eligible for a replacement or similar work.

Very pleased, thankful to Toyota and relieved about the future durability of the engine.

Brian

Hi Derek,

All of my enquiries were done by Toyota Canada, however, there is a potential hold up if the vehicle is registered in the US. I don't know the particulars, however, I did see a 1 - 800 number for US registered vehicles.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Derek,

All of my enquiries were done by Toyota Canada, however, there is a potential hold up if the vehicle is registered in the US. I don't know the particulars, however, I did see a 1 - 800 number for US registered vehicles.

Brian

As a follow up, Toyota Canada came through, I received a cheque for the full amount (in excess of 3200 Canadian) and a few instructions about keeping the coolant changed. The dealership was cheerful, considerate and fully responsive to my case. No quibbling and a handshake at the end!

That is the Toyota way!

Brian

don't remember the site, but read that it was 1990 that asbestos was removed from the head gaskets, the replacement didn't work very well so the recalls. prior to that asbestos was used and gaskets weren't as succeptable as later ones and i didn't read as to when it was finally solved. so maybe if your v6 was 89 or earlier the problem wasn't really there? i'm hoping so :o)

Very interesting. Did you get your satisfaction from Toyota US or Toyota Canada?

Glad everything turned out well.

Hi Derek,

Well, that is Part II of the story, after leaving the shop, and travelling about 50 miles, I stopped at a friends place to rest and visit. Monday morning we left, when I friends went to work. Driving away from their home, and headling down hill, we noticed a strange (strangling) sound and then the battery light came on and the power steering failed. Pulling into a convience store, we looked in to the motor compartment and saw immediately what all the commotion was. The driven sheave was at about 10 degrees off true from the front of the motor and as a consequences, all the belts were balled up in a knot (hence the strangling sound) and the power steering pump as well, the alternator were out of commission! It appears the shop had forgotten to tighten one critical bolt with a torque wrench, and after the short drive the bolt had vibrated out and that put an end to our quick get away.

To the credit of the mechanics shop, when I phoned, they were aghast, and sorry, and immediately set about to correct the situation. They paid for a tow truck, found a reputable shop and paid for everything that needed to be paid for. The owner's wife even drove us around town so we could get something to eat and shop, and picked us up. We received a letter of apology and assurances that if anything esle came of this, they would stand good for it.

As to the belts, all of the belts were frayed and nicked, so all were replaced. With regards to the valves, when the heads went up to the machine shop to be inspected, the valves were also inspected and set. The heads were well in tolerance and no milling had to be done.

An adventure not to be repeated, I am sure you will agree. But when we considered what the alternative would have been, we were glad we dealt with the company we did.

Brian

don't remember the site, but read that it was 1990 that asbestos was removed from the head gaskets, the replacement didn't work very well so the recalls. prior to that asbestos was used and gaskets weren't as succeptable as later ones and i didn't read as to when it was finally solved. so maybe if your v6 was 89 or earlier the problem wasn't really there? i'm hoping so :o)

Hi 90toydolphin,

On Toyota's website, the explanation was that when they originally designed the V6, (approximately 1985 - 1986) they were using asbestos head gaskets and they were suitable and sucessful. It was in 1987 - 1988 that both Canada and US simulataneously agreed to ban the use of asbestos in car engines. Toyota switched to a non asbestos gasket in production and carried on. When they realized that the substitute material used in the manufacturer of the head gasket was failing prematurely, they made a decision that certain years models would be covered. From what I read on their public letters to owners, any model using the V6 dating from 1987 to 1992 (approximately) were eligible for (a) a Toyota replacement of the head gaskets (B) a replacement motor or if the work was done © remibursement. There was some fine print, and the one condition that I read was that the engine head gasket would not be replaced a second time. Considering my toy is a 1992, I say fair enough.

Brian

Wow, a bad situation coming up roses for you and maybe others that have not had the modification. Great information! Maybe one could use the paid replacement to add their own additional cost of getting their heads redone as well too? Thanks for the share!