Just had a very bad experience with a new B&S engine after using a 10% ethanol fuel which was 2-3 months old. Intake valve seized after only 4-6 hrs of operation.

So, what concerns does the forum members have with using ethanol fuels? My 90 odd has sat for over 6 months.

Are you talking about the input valve in the head seizing? If so, not sure how the ethanol would of caused it.

Anyway, I am not a fan of 10% ethanol and forced to use it where I live, it lowers the HP and MPG over pure

gasoline. One of our fellow Toyota owners last Fall documented their trip using 10% ethanol vs pure gasoline

and they noticed a difference in both performance and mpg. I would avoid ethanol if you have the option.

Dennis B.

I'm with Dennis, Ethanol shouldn't cause a valve to stick. You said this engine had 6 hours on it, is this is a new or reman engine, either case, I would suspect valve guide not reamed properly, or if was a cheap rebuild, they sometimes knurl the guides rather than replace them, again, guide not reamed to proper size.

I'd be talking to the engine folks and if they tell you 10% ethanol did this, after 6 hours, ask them how millions of engines are running 10% ethanol for billions of miles. Also may want to note in their warranty regarding the use of 10% ethanol.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Unless you are speaking of E85 which is designed for only Flex-Fuel vehicles, I am with the others, as Ethanol in 10% is just a clean burning additive that a great number of fuel suppliers are pumping these days, and should not have caused the valve issue.

I can only get the Ethanol added fuel here in the Mid-West, and I have traveled well over 1500 miles on my rebuilt long block with no issues what-so-ever. As stated by others, I would make sure of your warranty stipulations, and don’t wait too long to take action, as I believe that you got a bad rebuild and don’t want time limitations to expire. I am sorry for your troubles, as nothing can be more disheartening than putting time and money into something and having it fail so soon after. I wish you a positive outcome!