Adding a generator

Widespot

I just bought a 1987 Toyota Itasca -- 21' -- this is my first rv/motorhome so I'm pretty green. First off mine does not have a generator. What are my options for adding a generator? Also I haven't yet hooked up to shore power. What do I need to know about that? I see the plug is not standard and I'm electrically naive and don't want to do anything to damage the system. Thanks for any help.

you probably have a 20 amp plug, need the converter to 15 amp to plug into normal household plug. you'll need the converter, (pigtail) to plug into a generator too. probably find at auto parts store or rv or camping supply store. available on line too of course. setting up a generator to use while going down the road takes a little doing, some posts on this site concerning that. if you only want to use at camp site then make sure you get something big enough to run what you want to as well as quiet enough to use without getting run off. roof air will probably take a 3000 watt if it's the 13500 btu which is common for roof units. before i bought one i actually hooked it up to my unit and ran what i wanted to run before buying it. have fun and welcome to the toy rving world.