Newbie intro and advice wanted

Hello everyone. I've been reading this site for a couple of days now (not much to do on the side of a volcano, in the rainforest while it is...raining, of course!) I am technically homeless as I spend the majority of time living in hotels and airport lounges.

I'll be flying up to the States around Thanksgiving for the obligatory visit to family, but will be sticking around for about 2 months criss-crossing the USA with product samples. (I just picked up a new line of hand-made jewelery and clothing) Looking at hotel costs, I started thinking an RV would be a better investment than a car (I have a bad back, so being able to stretch out every few hours in the Great Plains would be a Godsend!) I started looking at the Toyota because it is small, fairly economical and with a reputation for reliability.

I was thinking that picking up a unit that was in need of an interior remodel would be fine. I really need only the bed, the bathroom and the heater as a Coleman stove and a cooler goes a long way in the wintertime.

Long-distance driving is not new; I once drove Alaska to Florida in 10 days and drove the ALCAN Highway at least once in every calendar month of the year, but that was when gas was under $2.00/gallon. (I've even been on the haul road to Prudhoe Bay, like in that TV show on the History Channel. Can you say 'boring'?) This would be my first Class C motorhome experience, however.

Aside from the 1-ton axle upgrade (and truck tires), are there any things (screaming danger signs unique to the Toyhouse) which I should be looking for as people try to unload their rigs in time to pay off the credit cards they ran up doing their Christmas shopping? I don't have lots of time to look around before I buy.

On the other hand, if someone has a rig that is roadworthy but ugly (and economically priced) I would be interested in speaking with you.

-rob

(edit: forgot to sign the post)

Edited by live_in_a_suitcase

Welcome to Toyota Motorhomes.

I wish you good luck in finding a decent Toyota MH on short notice. It seems that most people around here spend a fair amount of time trying to find one to their liking. You do not seem to be very particular in whaqt you want so maybe you will find one that fits you.

You already know about the axle problems and what to look for in tire type. Check the dates on the tires to make sure that you are not buying 8 year old brand new tires. There are several posts on here telling you how to check the age of tires.

I found my MH after only 5 weeks looking and got exactly what I wanted at a good price. While looking, I called on units up to 500 miles away but got luck and only had to go 100 miles.

Good luck

Bob