New Owner

captain rocky

Just bought an 85 Toyaota with a Sun-Land Express Rv body.Need some tips on handling the Rocky Mountains. The little 22re will do 75mph after a long wind up on the inter-state in Fl. but will it handle the real mouintains of the NW? I've installed new belts and a K&N air filter and will have the engine professionally tuned before departing but any practical advice, or Links, on long range touring would be greatly apprciated. It has a 4 speed stick and does have the 6 lug wheels and axels front and rear. The tires are almost new and the air pressure is 50 LBS as suggested on the tires. The engine has 35,000 miles since a major rebuild and runs strong. It has A/C and I am installing after market cruise control. Any suggestions on cruising speed or warnings of what to expect from this RV? This board is a great find for me and I am glad to be aboard. I am a retired machinist from Mack Trucks and a retired Charter Boat captain. I rebuild motorcycles as a profitable hobby and sell them locally and on Ebay. Thanks in advance for any advice. Rocky

post-736-1170601790_thumb.jpg

Howdy Cap.

New Toy owner , huh? Mountains, how to handle. Do downshifting. A lot !

As you know from your truck experience, if you keep the rig 55 m.p.h. or a little below, the gas mileage improves. Use the cruise on flat ground.

I checked out the pic of your rig. I would check out the attachment of the platform to the trucks chassis. Somefolks just attached the trailor hitch to the frame extensions. They are very light, and so could cause problems.

By the way, do you rent out the Lab. I could use him next Waterfowl Season.

Howdy Cap.

New Toy owner , huh? Mountains, how to handle. Do downshifting. A lot !

As you know from your truck experience, if you keep the rig 55 m.p.h. or a little below, the gas mileage improves. Use the cruise on flat ground.

I checked out the pic of your rig. I would check out the attachment of the platform to the trucks chassis. Somefolks just attached the trailor hitch to the frame extensions. They are very light, and so could cause problems.

By the way, do you rent out the Lab. I could use him next Waterfowl Season.

The lab,Willy, is part lab, pit and greyhound. Got him as a 4 lb pup for my 60th birthday. He is now 5 and weighs 77 lbs. The previous owner,10 years,said he got 19 mpg pulling a golf cart in a v front enclosed trailer from Illinois to Fl. I saw the cart and traiter at his house. Nobdy could lie like that with a straight face!I had a VW combi bus that i ran all over Canada with in 1966 67 68 ,pulling a 14 ft. aluminum boat. I never really missed cruising at 75 mph so I'll probably be happy with my toy.I have A/C but was advised fuel economy will suffer. It has aftermarket cruise,audiovox,but the PO and I can't get it to work. I have the installation insructions but i think they were translated from Jappanese to Russian and then to English (dial 2 for Espanol). I'll keep plugging and maybe I'll get it. Thanks for the reply. Rocky

post-736-1171052974_thumb.jpg

post-736-1171053033_thumb.jpg

Rocky;

I thought I was the only one who acquired this chassis for the specific purpose of challenging the Rockies. It'll take you there and you'll be a more patient person on the way back. I've got an '88 22RE with the overdrive automatic so it's not a direct comparison, but if your 4th gear is an overdrive, then westbound on your outbound leg I believe you're going to face a general headwind that will punish you, and you'll live in 3rd.

If you cross the Appalachians you'll get a taste of what any slight grade means to this engine with this load. On the flats you can draft a tractor-trailer for relief if you get your timing down. I recommend downshifting earlier than necessary to stay in the power range even though the rpm may seem (and sound) shocking. I have the Toyota factory manual for '88 and the high rpms are in the design range comfortably, to my pleasant surprise. Basically, if you can't hold the gear, and your roadspeed is drifting down, then you've got to find the high end of the next gear even though you're not ready to downshift. If you don't, then on the long grades and against the headwinds, you'll lose the lower gear as well.

Hopefully, other members and readers will affirm or correct me on your 4-speed. Now, a few minutes later, I'm wondering if it is an overdrive. Sun-Land may have been wise in selecting a tranny with smaller steps. If top gear is 1 : 1, then you won't get as good a roll with terrain in you favor, but you'll do less shifting. In any event, with whichever gear is 1 : 1, you can hold 70 mph on the freeway. In my experience this unit is built to take it.

I make some time back on the down grades with my overdrive, running 80, 81, 82. It doesn't last long and the tires are rated 85.

Speaking of tires and air pressure, I'm not sure you want to run at 50psi, if that's the maximum pressure stamped on the tire. That pressure is specified for the max weight that's also stamped on the sidewall. It's been five years since I did my calcs, but I settled on 40 front and 40 - 45 rear depending on load. My wear pattern is uniform, the handling crisp, and the ride much softer than at max pressure. By the way, I'm an Itasca 319RB which is almost exactly 20 feet bumper-to-bumper.

The three generic technical columns I read keep repeating this discussion and my predominant recollection is commentary by the tire manufacturers that the tire is engineered for a range of weight and performance specs, and that they're not party to the specific application, only the maximum. Apparently they publish weight/pressure charts. The consensus in the advice columns is that the coach builder, as the final assembler, is responsible for determining the pressure settings. You might have them in a Sun-Land document. It would take precedence over any attached Toyota plate or manual.

I'm new to the board as well, and will make the opposite trek in the next few months. I'm starting a long sabbatical from the plumbing trade to work on my house and my life, and then this week I stumble on to this forum and suddenly I'm enthused with the realm of the possible for these sturdy little workhorses. This is a major distraction and a welcome at the same time. Both the coaches and running gear of our vintage do need to be upgraded from original to be long-term viable.

I'd be happy to share any pertinent regional experience with you through the message function. I'll mention two relevant experiences that might be along your way. Logan Pass in Glacier Park belongs to us if you're no more that 21 feet (exact!) long. The eastern approach through Great Falls is likewise restricted at 21' as you near the park. You'll be the only Class C up there. You have to check to see when the pass opens for the season. You don't mind slinking along halfway up an eight thousand foot (?) granite face do you? I bought my Itasca for that road so we wouldn't have to break camp and take a tour. It was supposed to be for one summer trip only, and then on to a Winnebago 24F to place in a rental fleet. I've made the San Francisco - Missoula run five times, five different ways, but I came upon the limitations of two-wheel drive this last time.

I would also recommend the Cascade Lakes Highway in west central Oregon if it's not too far off your track. If it's before July it'll be quite cool but nearly deserted at the tail end of hunting season. The Toyota is in its element here: gentle hills from a high plateau with very good two-lane blacktop; campgrounds every 10 -15 miles, creekside, lakeside, deep forest.

I hope this tome means something to you and spurs further thoughts on your mechanical and geographic quest.

Steve R.

Has anybody taken the 22RE (or the V-6) through the Eisenhower Tunnel? It's on my agenda this year.....

• 4 weeks later...
Rocky;

I thought I was the only one who acquired this chassis for the specific purpose of challenging the Rockies. It'll take you there and you'll be a more patient person on the way back. I've got an '88 22RE with the overdrive automatic so it's not a direct comparison, but if your 4th gear is an overdrive, then westbound on your outbound leg I believe you're going to face a general headwind that will punish you, and you'll live in 3rd.

If you cross the Appalachians you'll get a taste of what any slight grade means to this engine with this load. On the flats you can draft a tractor-trailer for relief if you get your timing down. I recommend downshifting earlier than necessary to stay in the power range even though the rpm may seem (and sound) shocking. I have the Toyota factory manual for '88 and the high rpms are in the design range comfortably, to my pleasant surprise. Basically, if you can't hold the gear, and your roadspeed is drifting down, then you've got to find the high end of the next gear even though you're not ready to downshift. If you don't, then on the long grades and against the headwinds, you'll lose the lower gear as well.

Hopefully, other members and readers will affirm or correct me on your 4-speed. Now, a few minutes later, I'm wondering if it is an overdrive. Sun-Land may have been wise in selecting a tranny with smaller steps. If top gear is 1 : 1, then you won't get as good a roll with terrain in you favor, but you'll do less shifting. In any event, with whichever gear is 1 : 1, you can hold 70 mph on the freeway. In my experience this unit is built to take it.

I make some time back on the down grades with my overdrive, running 80, 81, 82. It doesn't last long and the tires are rated 85.

Speaking of tires and air pressure, I'm not sure you want to run at 50psi, if that's the maximum pressure stamped on the tire. That pressure is specified for the max weight that's also stamped on the sidewall. It's been five years since I did my calcs, but I settled on 40 front and 40 - 45 rear depending on load. My wear pattern is uniform, the handling crisp, and the ride much softer than at max pressure. By the way, I'm an Itasca 319RB which is almost exactly 20 feet bumper-to-bumper.

The three generic technical columns I read keep repeating this discussion and my predominant recollection is commentary by the tire manufacturers that the tire is engineered for a range of weight and performance specs, and that they're not party to the specific application, only the maximum. Apparently they publish weight/pressure charts. The consensus in the advice columns is that the coach builder, as the final assembler, is responsible for determining the pressure settings. You might have them in a Sun-Land document. It would take precedence over any attached Toyota plate or manual.

I'm new to the board as well, and will make the opposite trek in the next few months. I'm starting a long sabbatical from the plumbing trade to work on my house and my life, and then this week I stumble on to this forum and suddenly I'm enthused with the realm of the possible for these sturdy little workhorses. This is a major distraction and a welcome at the same time. Both the coaches and running gear of our vintage do need to be upgraded from original to be long-term viable.

I'd be happy to share any pertinent regional experience with you through the message function. I'll mention two relevant experiences that might be along your way. Logan Pass in Glacier Park belongs to us if you're no more that 21 feet (exact!) long. The eastern approach through Great Falls is likewise restricted at 21' as you near the park. You'll be the only Class C up there. You have to check to see when the pass opens for the season. You don't mind slinking along halfway up an eight thousand foot (?) granite face do you? I bought my Itasca for that road so we wouldn't have to break camp and take a tour. It was supposed to be for one summer trip only, and then on to a Winnebago 24F to place in a rental fleet. I've made the San Francisco - Missoula run five times, five different ways, but I came upon the limitations of two-wheel drive this last time.

I would also recommend the Cascade Lakes Highway in west central Oregon if it's not too far off your track. If it's before July it'll be quite cool but nearly deserted at the tail end of hunting season. The Toyota is in its element here: gentle hills from a high plateau with very good two-lane blacktop; campgrounds every 10 -15 miles, creekside, lakeside, deep forest.

I hope this tome means something to you and spurs further thoughts on your mechanical and geographic quest.

Steve R.

Has anybody taken the 22RE (or the V-6) through the Eisenhower Tunnel? It's on my agenda this year.....