Converter/Battery Switch

BonnerA

Hello All,

I know this question will reveal my near-complete ignorance of all things electrical, but, as they say, you've got to start somewhere... What exactly does the switch labelled Converter/Battery (in my 1980 Dolphin, to the right of the sink) do? I don't have a deep-cycle battery hooked up yet, and have just run the lights, fridge, etc. on shore power. If I flip the switch over to "Battery", will all the 12v system, fridge, A/C, etc. run off the deep-cycle battery?

Also, there is a toggle switch underneath the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, beneath the switches for the lights and hazards. I have no idea what it does, or if it is even original to this model. Any guesses?

Oh, and does anyone have the faintest idea where I might find some literature for the actual R.V. part of this rig? The pickup stuff was easy to find, but, as I'm sure you all know, finding anything else has been tough.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Bonner

• 1 month later...

i had a tent trailer with a switch labeled "converter-battery". When on converter It ran 12 V items off shore power, when on battery it ran all the 12 V off the battery. Your lights and maybe frig will run on 12V, but not the air or any plug-ins, they are 120 V only. You can check your frig to see if it's a three way, there will be three sources of power on the back end, one propane, one a regular three prong 120 V plug and some additional connection for 12 V, not sure what that would look like, mine was only two way frig.

As far as the switch, it was probably added later, maybe not, and probably runs your 12 V in the couch off the engine's battery or alternator. it might be to send charging voltage to the rear battery, but if so it would have to be very large/thick wires, almost as big as battery cables. probably the first guess. can just turn your switch to battery, not converter, and see if it allows you to turn on the lights in the couch.

as far as owners manuals for the couch, i have one for 1990 dolphin, doesn't really tell me much. each appliance, including toilet has owners manual so none of those items are covered.