Ot oh... Looks like I'm in for another project!

george101

So, looks like there's another project coming down the pipe.

When I got my Chinook about 2 years ago, I had a paint job put on it to help stop some of the surface rust from getting worse. At that point, I really didn't know anything about body work. I thought you got a paint job and then you're good to go.

However, as I began doing some more research about the process, I learned that in order to do the job properly you need to sand the paint down to the metal, then reapply the primer and then put a new paint coat over it. I assumed that that was what the guy did, however, when I got it back I was suspicious because it only took him two or three days to get it back to me. That seemed like a lot of work to squeeze into 2 or 3 days.

Today, to my dismay, my suspicions turned out to be correct and he apparently just sprayed paint over the existing paint job. This was problematic because moisture builds up between the two paint jobs and causes your truck to rust out worse than it was before. So now, unfortunately, I am in a position where I need to do it the right way, which means I'll need to strip all the paint off down to metal, and then bring it back to him to put on the primer and the paint. I'm thinking this is going to be quite a bit of work. I'm also wondering if maybe I should just try to get the coat of paint off that the guy put on and leave the original paint as it is. Although, I think that's easier in theory than in practice. So I'll probably have about 2 weeks of work on my hands to do this correctly. I'll take some pics as I go, if I actually decide to go through with this.