Air bags.

SqueezerBob

So a while back, I posted a topic about my 92 Warrior ("Irv") scraping bottom every time I drove it off or on my driveway. I got a lot of great suggestions, including a few urging me to check the air bags. Dumb me - I at first thought those were talking about the tires, but I've since learned there really are chusioning air bags on this model truck. Now the question is where are they, how do I adjust/care for them? I've done a bunch of surfing, but always end up with descriptions of safety collision bags. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hello Squeezerbob,

Here is a photo of my rear air booster spring. I don't know if yours are quite the same as our rig is a Sunrader, but I think yours may look similar.

Bill

post-137-0-73329400-1309287688_thumb.jpg

On my 1991 Warrior, the airbag adjustments are located in the driver's side dualie wheel well. You will see the two air hoses leading to that point and they are simply filled with an air compressor. Per my owner's manual, mine are supposed to be kept <100 pounds. I put 90 pounds in them. One of mine was already at 90, the other was only at 40. In my case, the air bags don't look like the typical "firestone" airbags like Bill shows in the above post. Those are likely a better designed setup. Mine are much smaller, single chambers. Instead of looking like 2 doughnuts stacked on top of each other, mine look more like the size of a 12 ounce pop/beer can. A bit larger than that, but you get the point. In the case of the ones that I have that came from the "factory", the are more about ride comfort and less about ride height. I don't see any height adjustment resulting from filling them.

Thanks to everyone who replied and brought me up to speed on air bags. If this is the final Jeopardy category when I'm a contestant, I'm a lock to win!

I did find the air lines by the duals like Wanderso said. Filled 'em up to 70 for the first time out, and rolled out of the driveway with minimal scraping. I think adding back a few 2 X 8's at the lowest point and pumping up the bags a little more should do the trick.

Again, thanks!