On our recent Alaska trip, we occasionally got a foul odor inside the Toyhouse while driving, and sometimes at night when parked, a very slight whiff.

The odor seemed strongest when we were traveling down the road with the drivers or passenger window open. I suspect that when the windows are open, they create a slight negative pressure inside the truck and the odor then gets drawn in from the black tank.

post-4544-0-23783800-1308398444_thumb.jp The Black tank stack pipe (roof vent) is mounted at a slight backward angle. When traveling down the road, the angle of the vent may act as a scoop and actually pressurize the tank. With the tank at a slight positive pressure, and the truck at a slight negative pressure, air flows from the tank, into the truck, and WHEW. :help:

I found a vent made by Camco, it has a venturi effect and can suck the air out of the tank while traveling. When we're parked, the vent can weather-vane and turn in the wind, and still suck air out of the tank.

This seemed like just the solution that I needed, so I ordered one from Amazon.com.

The Installation took a little longer than expected. I also needed to modify the weather-vane a little so it would fit.

post-4544-0-50815000-1308398451_thumb.jp post-4544-0-11844300-1308398454_thumb.jp post-4544-0-64802900-1308398455_thumb.jp

The Black Tank vent is between the rungs of the ladder just behind the roof rack. The vent needed to swivel around without hitting the ladder or the roof rack, so it would need to be mounted as low as I could get it.

First was to remove the old vent, and clean up the surrounding area.

Then I used tin snips to open the hole around the existing vent pipe, so the weather-vane would slide all the way down on the vent pipe.

I temporarily slid the weather-vane on the pipe, and then cut a little off the top and back of the vane so it would not hit the ladder or the roof rack when it swiveled.

I also had to elongate the pipe opening on the new trim piece so it could mount over the pipe at an angle. I also drilled two holes in the trim piece so I could screw it to the roof.

post-4544-0-25723900-1308398457_thumb.jp post-4544-0-69597400-1308398458_thumb.jp

Butyl tape on the bottom of the trim piece, then slid the trim piece up onto the weather-vane. run a layer of butyl tape around the bottom of the weather-vane to seal against the trim piece.

Slide the weather-vane over the pipe, Recheck it doesn't hit anything, then secure it to the pipe with a couple of the supplied screws, Slide the trim piece down to get the butyl tape to ozz out. Secure the trim piece to the roof with screws through the two holes I drilled.

Brush a coat of roof sealant around the entire vent, trim and onto the roof. Re-check that the weather-vane swivels OK.

I then sit back and watch in awe as the weathervane rotates with the wind, and breath fresh air as I'm cruising down the highway with the windows open. :ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Are you still in Alaska?

How long was the trip?

Nope - Unfortunately, I'm back in Ohio and back to work :thumbdown:

Had a great time, and starting to think about the next trip. :ThumbUp:

4 weeks - we covered a lot of ground and seen a lot, now we know where we want to spend more time on the next trip.

Check out the blog entries at http://iflyez.com/alaska/. We tried to keep the blog up to date. I still need to write a piece for the traveling the Dalton Highway.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto