Storing your Motorhome

warrior92

I have had a few travel trailers in the past but my (new to me) 1992 Warrior is the first MH i have ever owned. I keep it parked in my barn when we are not traveling so it is out of the weather. But i am wanting to here from you other happy campers what you with yours while not in travel. Things like: How often do you go out and start the engine? How long do you let it run? Do you keep all of your batteries hooked up or do you disconnect them? How often do you charge the batteries? Do you charge the main engine battery while it is still hooked up after it has been sitting? AHH this list could get quite long........ Hopefully this will give you guys and gals an idea of the information i am trying to gather.

Thanks

...Things like: How often do you go out and start the engine? How long do you let it run? Do you keep all of your batteries hooked up or do you disconnect them? How often do you charge the batteries? Do you charge the main engine battery while it is still hooked up after it has been sitting?

Like you, the '92 Warrior is my first motorhome, though I have had several (way too many) small travel trailers. Always before, I have had a place to store my trailer at my home - two places I made RV dumps and put in 30 amp shore power stations. Our situation has changed since then, though. Now, my lovely bride and I are in a "patio home" in a subdivision that literally does not allow my motorhome on the street - ever - and there surely is no place to store it. Presently, I have it parked at my son's house almost 10 miles (25 minutes) away. This is not terribly satisfactory and I will probably start paying for closer storage next year.

Since I winterized it in early November (we get below-zero weather every winter, so protecting the water and waste systems from freezing is essential), I have done nothing to it. I do have a new RV cover over it that, I hope, is keeping moisture and ice off the roof and the sun off the exterior and tires. I took out the coach battery and brought it home to the garage, where I have been periodically hooking it up to my Schumacher SSC-1500A Ship 'n Shore 15 amp charger/conditioner to keep it in good shape - the business that my brother bought his reconditioned 6-volt batteries from recommended this unit. It is available from Walmart or from Amazon, but I saved about 12 bucks by getting it on eBay. In late February, when I am ready to get it ready for my first early Spring trip, I will first put the charger on the main engine battery (without removing it from the truck) for a couple days, then I will immediately take the rig to my Toyota dealer (where it was actually purchased new 19 1/2 years ago) for an oil change and service.

I've just finished reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing on my Kindle (how did I ever live without that little toy?) and next year, I will do a few things I did NOT do this year. I will fill up the propane tank and the gas tank, then add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank. After I have added the stabilizer, I will run the generator for a while to make sure there is no stale gas in the genny's carb. I may also put it up on blocks to take the weight off the tires, but that is a lot of work and I would probably have to take my brother's floor jack to the storage lot to get it done. I may decide that is not worth the effort.

I find fuel stabilizer is over hyped (Bravo to the seller). I've any number of vehicles that have sat for a year and started with no problem. Several years, maybe not. A few months over the Winter? No problem, from my experience. If it smells like gas, burn it. If it smells like varnish, drain it!