Hi folks new but learning , seams every time I stop for gas or shopping, I guest most anytime I shut of the engine when warmed up, takes three try's to get started again, its not running hot , tem. seams normal. help needed.

thanks Richard

OK when I try to start when warmed up it turns over normal and fires once or twice but does keep running till three or four try's but once running drives great, no misses and plenty of power. and i never push the gas peddle down when trying to start cold or warmed up.have try ed both ways when warmed up still the same . but it always starts, when cold it starts it starts with a few cranks first time. with out pushing down on the gas pedal. what to do.

thanks for the reply Richard

What engine do you have? Carbureted or fuel injected? My initial suspicion is that fuel pressure is bleeding off when parked.

HI I have 1988 Dolphin 22re 71,000 miles maybe that could be the problem the fuel bleeding down, what would cause this and where would the check valve be located , does not seam to show any leaks that I can see. is it a weak fuel pump, but it runs fine and starts cold fine. how would I check if the fuel is bleeding down.

thanks for your help Richard

A fuel pressure gauge as Derek mentioned would be helpful. I've never troubleshot fuel pressure on a 22RE so what I'm giving you is general information. You might consider picking up a copy of the factory Toyota shop manual on Ebay. They are very helpful.

If you can find the proper place to attach the fuel pressure gauge you can see what pressure is while running and cranking. Watch the gauge when it cranks with no start. Watch the gauge to see what it reads just before it starts. If there is a huge jump right before is starts, odds are very strong low fuel pressure is your problem.

There are probably a mix of rubber and metal fuel supply and return lines on your truck. I'd start by replacing the rubber ones with fuel line. Make sure it is fuel line and not generic vacuum line. If you can find hose that is ethanol resistant that's even better. The rubber dries out with age and you may have a small crack that is not visible to the eye that sucks in air but doesn't leak fuel. Or just a bad fit on one end of the rubber hose. This is cheap and easy to replace and really should be done anyway a preventative maintenance. Next item if your truck is equipped is the fuel pump relay. You might pull it and check for corrosion on the terminals. I doubt the relay is your issue. Next is the fuel pump. Many have a pressure valve in them to hold pressure when the vehicle is off. You'll need to figure out if your truck does. This forum, any Toyota truck forum or the factory shop manual should tell you. Also look at these free training courses from Airtex Fuel Pumps

http://www.airtexproducts.com/Technicians/trainingprograms.html

http://www.airtexproducts.com/fdss/index.html The diagnostic training is the place to start. There is also parts counter training

One last question after rereading your original post. You say this happens on hot restarts only? When you start it up after it sits overnight, does it start right up? If you stop for gas and it doesn't crank over immediately, what would happen if you let it sit an hour? Still need the extra cranking? If it starts fine cold and will start fine after sitting, it sounds more like a vapor lock problem. They are not near as common on fuel injected vehicles. I have forgotten my troubleshooting for vapor lock. Someone else will have to help.