Looking to buy 1984 New Horizon - Any imput would be appreciated.

dave45

Hi, I am new to this web site, and I am looking to buy a 1984 New Horizon Toyota camper. I'll be inspecting the camper Saturday (4th). The ad states a new clutch, 4 new rear tires, 12v inverter, 114000 miles. Asking $2000 obo. Any problem areas that I should be looking for? I would appreciate any input from the members. I am a Toyota fan with a 1993 Previa about to turn over 300k. Love the brand! Thank you. David

post-4536-054225500 1291353477_thumb.jpg

post-4536-089712600 1291353496_thumb.jpg

post-4536-077055700 1291353509_thumb.jpg

New clutch may be a good thing if done with new parts. I find that reman clutches don't have a very good reputation for longevity in most applications. Four new tires is certainly a plus and 114k is pretty reasonable. I'm assuming this is a 22R. If you can get 300k out of your Previa, you should see 4-500k out of a 22R asuuming you start with on in good condition! Isn't the Previa the one where the engine is buried under the floor of the van and a real pain to work on anything? And where engine removal requires disassembling 1/2 the van?

It's hard to see much from the pictures as they are rather small. From what I can tell, the inside appears to be in very nice condition. If that's true and there is no water damage then I'd say this is a very good price. With regards to wood rot and water leaks, that is my main concern with any used RV. Pull all the bedding out around the bunk over the cab. Look for any evidence of water intrusion in this area. Check all the seals on doors, windows, roof stacks, etc. If any look cracked or pulled away, search very hard in these areas for water damage. Check the condition of the roof closely. Is there any smell of water or wet wood in the unit? If so it's probably better to find a different RV unless you are a skilled carpenter with lots of free time. The materials to fix rotten wood are relatively cheap but the labor is extensive. Having a shop fix water damage is cost prohibitive on most of these RVs easily costing thousands of dollars. Water damage is like rust....what you see is just the tip of the iceberg in most cases.

Check that all appliances work how they should. Make sure and hook a water hose up and try all the plumbing. Turn the gas on an try everything. Give it time to heat up water. Give the furnace time to kick on and blow hot air. Try the refrigerator on gas and electric. Never take the sellers word that something works without trying it yourself. Other than that, check that all the lights work in and out and you are probably in pretty good shape.