I'm trying to fix an alternator that will no longer pivot to adjust belt tension. The upper bolt on the thin bracket where it slides comes out fine. The lower bolt that through the steel bracket, 2" or so tab on the alternator and through the back of the steel bracket is where the problem is. The nut removes from the back of the bolt, but the bolt won't budge. I was able to pivot the alternator slightly tighter with a 2 foot pipe and a 4 pound hammer. I could not go the other way with a block of wood and a 4 pound hammer from underneath. I next put a 2 foot cheater bar over my ratchet and had an assistant shove with her leg. The bolt never broke free but did pivot the whole alternator enough in the loosen direction to remove the belt. I'm on the 2nd soaking with PB Blaster. I'm now wanting to remove the alternator to clean the V groove in the pulley. I can't move the alternator either direction.

Any ideas? I'll have to take a closer look at the lower alternator bracket. On first glance it appears that it tucks under the left engine mount so pulling the bracket/alternator assembly doesn't seem like an easy option.

Toyotahome is a 1983 Sunrader with a California 22R, 4-speed manual, A/C, air pump and no power steering.