The Dwarf Forest Buffalo('78 Chinook)

Fergie

So I've been looking at Chinooks recently, and have seen some good, some bad, and some very bad ones.

I came across a Chinook a few hours away, posted the day before, and called the guy...it was still there!

So, a several hundred miles later, and a mere $250 gone from my pocket, I came home with this:

1973ToyotaChinook016.jpg

The interior is in good shape, with all the appliances and beds and such.

The vehicle is missing the engine, transmission and front suspension. Given that I live in snow country, and travel in the woods a lot, this will be a 4wd when all is said and done...how the actual conversion will be done is still up for debate.

I have a blank canvas to work with, so it should be fun!

Look for updates to this thread as my build-up continues.

Thanks,

Gavin

Congratulations. For $250 it would have been mine, too.

I've no idea how you're going to make it a 4x4 other than swapping the rear on to a 4x4 truck frame. But I'm no expert. Perhaps there's another way but it sounds like a lot of work. Perhaps less work would be to swap it on to a newer 4x4.

Let us know and give us all the details.

Congratulations. For $250 it would have been mine, too.

I've no idea how you're going to make it a 4x4 other than swapping the rear on to a 4x4 truck frame. But I'm no expert. Perhaps there's another way but it sounds like a lot of work. Perhaps less work would be to swap it on to a newer 4x4.

Let us know and give us all the details.

Derek,

The conversion won't be difficult with no drivetrain to speak of. Several companies offer pre-made kits with shackles, hangers and various other parts to run leaf springs in the front, and if I'm feeling very motivated, I'll just make my own.

The engine, transmission and t-case will bolt in, with posisbly some new cross-members for support.

The rear axle will be swapped out ot a 6-lug pattern to match the front.

The sum of it all looks daunting, but each individual item is easy. Budget will be my main concern with all of this.