Waste Tank 1981 Sunrader

srfhappy

Rather than looking for a leak I was thinking about replacing my black water holding tank. i suspect that its 24.5 gallons but I am not sure. I was wondering if anyone knows what model tank (size (gallons), dimensions (overall length, width and height ) and 3 inch dump valve location). Maybe I'll just have to pull the old tank out first no problem either way.....Thanks always really cool folks on this website....

I've read many times that Sunrader would 'build anything you want', so I'd be suspicious of what anyone might tell you is 'Standard'.

I'd start by crawling underneath and getting as many/any measurements you can to give you a starting point in your search.

What model/layout Sunrader do you have?

I'd start by crawling underneath and getting as many/any measurements you can to give you a starting point in your search.

I'll go under there on Thursday after work.

What model/layout Sunrader do you have?

rear dinette model

The dining table / couch is at the rear

The stove is on the passenger side between the entry door and the sitting area

The entry door is just to the rear of the passenger seat in the cab

The bathroom is just to the rear of the driver seat just opposite of where you enter.

The black water tank is just under the chassis behind the driver.

Currently it smells due to a leak.

I truly appreciate your help.

On my 1983 Sunrader the tanks appear to be stamped with a logo of the company who made them. I'd suggest you start by trying to get that info off of the tanks and then see if they are still in business. Other than that, there are companies that build custom RV holding tanks but it's very expensive. A Google search should turn them up.

If you simply have a crack with no missing pieces, I'd find a plastic welder who can fix it. Motorcycle shops may be able to help you locate such a person. Or lay some fiberglass over the cracked area and see if that would seal it. And there is always JB Weld.

Make sure all your pipes going to/from the tank are properly connected as well. If you have an 18' model you have the toilet going straight into the tank, the shower pan drain being piped in, a vent pipe going it and a drain pipe going out. Anyone of these can leak. The piping appears to be pretty standard stuff.

• 6 months later...

Have you actually seen black water leaking or are you basing it on the smell?

Weird thing about those rear dinette Sunraders. They drain the bathroom sink and the shower into the black water tank. This means that if the water in the sink or shower drain trap has evaporated you can get a smell up. In my Sunrader I also get a smell when the tank is somewhat full if I pull up a steep hill. Last trip it got too full and I had a puddle on the floor as it came up the shower drain.

I am looking at what someone on another thread is suggesting, a vent stack top that points rear and pulls air out of the tank and hoping it will cure my smell. I have also stopped using the bathroom sink for routine handwashing, so as to stretch my black water capacity.