owners manual - '91 Odyssey

olygirl

My '91 Toy (Odyssey) is new to me and I don't have an owner's manual. I downloaded a pdf from this site a few weeks ago and now I can't find it. It didn't download complete, so there may be a problem with the pdf. Anyone have a manual or can link me to a pdf? Thanks!

Edited by olygirl

yes, I did a cut and paste and it responds "document not found"

Here's what the cut and paste creates (or the long url associated with the tiny url): http://f1.grp.yahoof...ners-Manual.pdf

Hah! - what I pasted in got truncated like your first post.

I really do appreciate your help.

Edited by olygirl

Derek - you are a mensch! It worked this last time. (Actually, it may have worked previous times also if I would have accessed the weblinks through the daily digests emails instead of here - something about this web service doesn't like links). Thanks, much. I'm going to upload it to a website so people can easily find it. I'm very excited about getting my Toy on the road. Thanks again. Olygirl

• 3 weeks later...

Dennis - thanks so much! How do you like your Odessey? How long have you had it? Any tips for me?

I'm a brand new RVer and new to Toys, obviously. Went on my first voyage last week and used more gas than I would have liked. Didn't use either ETC power or overdrive. I think I understand I should use overdrive all the time, except in mountains/hills and use ETC when I want a fast start.

Any tips about the "home" part of the rig?

thanks, again.

Olygirl

Hello again,

Sorry about the delay. Where about are you located, I am near Indianapolis, IN.

I have had Mrs. Clark (my Toyota) for Four years. The Odyssey is great, they have a bit more room than

the other Toyota models, mainly a few inches higher ceiling and a few inches wider. Also, the roofs are

are very solid, no fears of being able to walk on them.

Regarding tips, if you do not have MaxxAir type vent covers, I highly suggest buy them, you can find them

on ebay for about $30 or so for two of them. They allow you to keep the roof vent fully open year round,

while highway driving and during rain storms. They allow heat and moisture to escape. They are easy to

install (10 to 15 minutes each) and do not screw into your roof, they screw into the side of the vent frames.

You want to try to run with your over drive on as much as possible...if you hit hills a lot, the transmission

will keep on going in and out of overdrive which is bad. The ETC is usually good for going slow speed up

hills (like under 30mph), I only had to use it once, and that was on a 12% grade on a State road in MT.

What did you mean about the "Home" part of the rig?

Later,

Dennis...

Dennis - thanks so much! How do you like your Odessey? How long have you had it? Any tips for me?

I'm a brand new RVer and new to Toys, obviously. Went on my first voyage last week and used more gas than I would have liked. Didn't use either ETC power or overdrive. I think I understand I should use overdrive all the time, except in mountains/hills and use ETC when I want a fast start.

Any tips about the "home" part of the rig?

thanks, again.

Olygirl

I'd assume that the 'home' is anything not supplied by Toyota.

It seems to me I've often read that the Odyssey has 6'-3" headroom vs 6'-1" in Dolphin/SeaBreeze and 6'-2" in Warriors. Not a great difference but I suppose every bit helps.

Dolphin/SeaBreeze are listed as being 80" wide and the Warrior 81".

Of course bigger inside means bigger outside therefore larger frontal area (10%) and a bigger hole to punch in the air as you go down the road.

Derek and Dennis - thanks for your replies. Indeed, the Odessey is bigger than other models and, perhaps, the reason for not-so-hot gas mileage. It feels very big to me! Sure was a white knuckle driving experience in a rain storm (I'm still getting used to the height and the feeling of going around curves).

Dennis, thanks for your tips on overdrive; that should help. And, I'm going to get the vent covers because moisture sure was a problem on the maiden voyage. So, thanks for that suggestion. I'm fixing to take her out again and will also properly inflate the tires before I head out which should also help with gas mileage.

When I was asking about tips for the "home" part, I meant tips for the living space of the rig. For example, I can't figure out how to get the water heater started. Will go the dealer and have them show me when I have a moment but if you have suggestions, thanks for them.

I live in Western Washington and will be taking "the Beast" (affectionately called) on a 3 or so month road trip, around the perimeter of the U.S., starting in early Feb so any tips on long distance living are also appreciated.

Dennis, why is your rig named "Mrs Clark?" (very amusing how we name these and presume they are girls which, of course, they are).

-olygirl

Regarding the name Mrs. Clark, every great ship is a female and since we use the Toyota to Explore in, we named

her after the explorers Lewis and Clark!

Regarding your hot water heater, need to be sure there is no air in the gas line, I usually fire up a burner on

the stove for a 20 to 30 seconds before I try to light the hot water heater. After after doing that you make

have to hold the pilot down for a minute or so to get any air out of that line. If it still does not want to light

it might be the themostat needs replacing, it tells the main gas line to turn on when it gets heat from the pilot

light, and of course when to turn off. Check out of of the manuals on the website that I sent you, it goes into

detail on how to work each of the systems.

Keep us updated on your travels. I will be hosting another Midwest Toyota Rally this year.

Later,

Dennis...

I'm 6'-2" and will hit my head on the A/C even in an Odyssey. Being taller than average, I mastered the art of ducking at an early age. I don't really find it a problem, because even in a 23' Odyssey, you'll be from one end to another in 2 or 3 strides, barely long enough to straighten up anyway.

Of course it precludes installing a ceiling fan!

• 1 month later...