Hoping to own a rig soon

Grey

Hi. My wife and I are planning to move into a toyota rv soon, but our budget is pretty tight. I'm trying to figure out what I can let slide for the sake of a low price, and what is essential right away. We are not expecting to have enough money for any immediate repairs, so I know I need the engine to run right away. We've also already decided to remove the fridge whether it works or not to free up storage for other things and reduce the overall weight of the vehicle. The AC unit is also of little to no importance to us.

This will be my first rv, and in fact neither my wife nor I have ever owned a car/truck/whatever at all. I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can, but a little advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Our budget is about 3000, my paycheck is kind of erratic and unpredictable no matter how predictable my work is, so that's our minimum budget. It might be more depending on what comes in in the next few months. We're located in Portland, Oregon. I'm willing to travel a bit for the right vehicle; we'd be looking to buy in two or three months.

Hi. My wife and I are planning to move into a toyota rv soon, but our budget is pretty tight. I'm trying to figure out what I can let slide for the sake of a low price, and what is essential right away. We are not expecting to have enough money for any immediate repairs, so I know I need the engine to run right away. We've also already decided to remove the fridge whether it works or not to free up storage for other things and reduce the overall weight of the vehicle. The AC unit is also of little to no importance to us.

This will be my first rv, and in fact neither my wife nor I have ever owned a car/truck/whatever at all. I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can, but a little advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I live full time in my 1985 21 ft New Horizon.

How are you using your RV? If you are moving around, then mechanical is primary. Engines are already pretty good in these, but trannys can have real issues. Check out the tranny pages on this forum to see what to expect. If you are going to be hooked up most of the time, then you can start focusing on inside issues, like fridge, micro, stove, hot water, leaking roof, leaking plumbing, etc. These things are not alot of room for two people living full time. I wouldn't even CONSIDER it with anything less than a 26 foot rear bedroom model. Only exception would be if you are staying in one place and can extend an awning out, perhaps make a room out of it, etc.

The biggest problem is storage. Both food and essentials. It doesn't take much to fill up existing closet/storage space with just a few clothes, shoes, coats, etc. I travel light, and still fill up everything PLUS my storage pod on top. If you want to try it, find one small 8x14 room somewhere. Or make an area of that size. Then fit EVERYTHING you two want to bring in that RV. That includes, clothes, books, computers, small TV, toiletries, couch, chair, and bed. Simulate the layout for a typical Toy RV. I'm not saying it CAN"T be done. You have to use every available nook and cranny for storage. Just be realistic. It's just one step above camping in a tent, and two steps above being homeless, when 2 people are involved. Just taking my GF out for a weekend at the beach is a major production. I lived in the Outback so I'm comfortable going very primitive, but women tend to need alot more room for their "things". Even when they 'downsize". Try the experiment. A couple friend of mine did, and quickly moved their sights to to a 29 footer. They live in that full time...just barely without killing each other...

Toys are not too expensive to maintain if you have basic automotive skills, but from what you said...neither of you two may be mechanically inclined. That means most of what you will need to do/fix for the inevitable problems will be at the mercy of your local mechanic or RV guy. I'd rather hit on19 at the blackjack tables than trust them, but you may have no choice. If you had the extra cash it would be not be a problem. But when your HOUSE is broke down on the side of the road with $40 bucks to your name...and you have no clue how to fix it, that is not a good place to be.

On the other hand, if you are just going Bohemian out in the woods, and just need an (occasionally) leaky roof over your head, it might work. Or if you can keep some cash aside for inevitable repairs. I got a GOOD coach, and have still put $2000 into vehicle/coach repairs in 1 1/2 years. That doesn't include another 2K in personal upgrades like paint, solar panels, cabinet upgrades, etc. And that's with me doing it all myself. If I had to pay someone to do all this I would be in the $5-7K range. She was originally up for sale for 4K, but I got her for $3200. And that took me 6 months to find and flight to Salt Lake City from Florida.

Oh, if you do get one, especially a cheapie, MAKE SURE she has the upgraded axle. Read all about it here in the forums. A really cheap Toy will almost always be with the bad axle, and even if you didn't load it much it would fail. With two people, it is near guarantee. That is REALLY important. I passed on about half a dozen cheap ones because they had the 1/2 ton axle.

So, decide what your primary use is going to be, then make your choice. Personally, I'd rather pull double shifts at McD's for 6 months to get a coach that fits and is in decent shape, then an undersized junker that's gonna be the bane of my existence on a daily basis.

I live full time in my 1985 21 ft New Horizon.

How are you using your RV? If you are moving around, then mechanical is primary. Engines are already pretty good in these, but trannys can have real issues. Check out the tranny pages on this forum to see what to expect. If you are going to be hooked up most of the time, then you can start focusing on inside issues, like fridge, micro, stove, hot water, leaking roof, leaking plumbing, etc. These things are not alot of room for two people living full time. I wouldn't even CONSIDER it with anything less than a 26 foot rear bedroom model. Only exception would be if you are staying in one place and can extend an awning out, perhaps make a room out of it, etc.

The biggest problem is storage. Both food and essentials. It doesn't take much to fill up existing closet/storage space with just a few clothes, shoes, coats, etc. I travel light, and still fill up everything PLUS my storage pod on top. If you want to try it, find one small 8x14 room somewhere. Or make an area of that size. Then fit EVERYTHING you two want to bring in that RV. That includes, clothes, books, computers, small TV, toiletries, couch, chair, and bed. Simulate the layout for a typical Toy RV. I'm not saying it CAN"T be done. You have to use every available nook and cranny for storage. Just be realistic. It's just one step above camping in a tent, and two steps above being homeless, when 2 people are involved. Just taking my GF out for a weekend at the beach is a major production. I lived in the Outback so I'm comfortable going very primitive, but women tend to need alot more room for their "things". Even when they 'downsize". Try the experiment. A couple friend of mine did, and quickly moved their sights to to a 29 footer. They live in that full time...just barely without killing each other...

Toys are not too expensive to maintain if you have basic automotive skills, but from what you said...neither of you two may be mechanically inclined. That means most of what you will need to do/fix for the inevitable problems will be at the mercy of your local mechanic or RV guy. I'd rather hit on19 at the blackjack tables than trust them, but you may have no choice. If you had the extra cash it would be not be a problem. But when your HOUSE is broke down on the side of the road with $40 bucks to your name...and you have no clue how to fix it, that is not a good place to be.

On the other hand, if you are just going Bohemian out in the woods, and just need an (occasionally) leaky roof over your head, it might work. Or if you can keep some cash aside for inevitable repairs. I got a GOOD coach, and have still put $2000 into vehicle/coach repairs in 1 1/2 years. That doesn't include another 2K in personal upgrades like paint, solar panels, cabinet upgrades, etc. And that's with me doing it all myself. If I had to pay someone to do all this I would be in the $5-7K range. She was originally up for sale for 4K, but I got her for $3200. And that took me 6 months to find and flight to Salt Lake City from Florida.

Oh, if you do get one, especially a cheapie, MAKE SURE she has the upgraded axle. Read all about it here in the forums. A really cheap Toy will almost always be with the bad axle, and even if you didn't load it much it would fail. With two people, it is near guarantee. That is REALLY important. I passed on about half a dozen cheap ones because they had the 1/2 ton axle.

So, decide what your primary use is going to be, then make your choice. Personally, I'd rather pull double shifts at McD's for 6 months to get a coach that fits and is in decent shape, then an undersized junker that's gonna be the bane of my existence on a daily basis.

We are choosing this mainly to keep us from being all the way to homeless, but we're both really digging it as a lifestyle choice. We are expecting to be moving pretty regularly, though we are looking into cheap alternatives to rv parks, such as... driveways. We fit well in small spaces. My main issue is how many of my books I'm going to have to give up, and for my wife this means a serious wardrobe downsize. My wife has been homeless before, and we're hoping to make this a far less crazy transition. We aren't going to be moving in full time until late February and we're hoping to have around a month to figure out what's coming with us and what isn't. We're hoping to have a whole lot less stuff by early November, but I imagine that getting rid of all that we've got is going to take all the time we've got.

Part of the reason we're going for a toy is that there will undoubtedly be more than a few days when we're parked on the street, an the less attention we attract, the better.

Oh, and I'm actually pretty good mechanically, I've just been living car free for a long time so little to none of my experience has to do with internal combustion. That said, my father loves the heck out of cars and has been trying to teach me this stuff for a long time. Some of it I remember, but believe me, he would jump at the chance to bond over a little auto shop. Also he'll be with us as we look at vehicles to keep an eye out for mechanical red flags and the like.

And thank you for all the advice! ^_^

Edited by Grey