Wheel Base of 1ton axles

Snavly

OK, I've read the "Axle Fact" sheet. I think I am ready to start hunting for a true 1-ton replacement axle for my 1983 18' Sunrader. I only have one question. The fact sheet says to use an axle made in 1987 or newer. Is the wheelbase the same on all of these axles thru all the model years? Or would I find myself carving out the wheel wells and adding fender flares. Not to mention the alignment of the suspension parts. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info! Let the game begin.

Read at least the last 3 posts here: http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1192&st=0&p=5481&fromsearch=1entry5481

Here's what I did on my 83 Sunrader. Yours should be the same. "I ordered an '88 1-ton full floating DRW axle, 4 wheels with almost new Bridgestone tires, swaybar, shocks and springs for $600. Shipping from south Alabama to Amarillo, TX was $300. Local 4x4 fabrication shop will be doing the install/fabrication next week. "

Read at least the last 3 posts here: http://toyotamotorho...ch=1entry5481

Here's what I did on my 83 Sunrader. Yours should be the same. "I ordered an '88 1-ton full floating DRW axle, 4 wheels with almost new Bridgestone tires, swaybar, shocks and springs for $600. Shipping from south Alabama to Amarillo, TX was $300. Local 4x4 fabrication shop will be doing the install/fabrication next week. "

Where did you order the parts from? Are there more?

Where did you order the parts from? Are there more?

I searched on www.car-part.com until I found the right year axle that had springs and wheels. I wanted to get it all from one place so I knew it was a matched set off one vehicle. It was a salvage yard in Alabama and I don't know if they had more. I suspect if they do it will show up in a search. If you really want the name of the place I think I can pull it off some receipts. I had the shock mounts fabricated simply because I forget to order them from Toyota. Hope this helps. I think the hardest part of the job is finding someone to do the fabrication work. I can turn wrenches but I don't weld.