I purchased a 1987 Conquest Class C motorhome made by Gulf Stream. It is 21 feet long built on a Toyota 4 cylinder truck engine and chassis. I have not been able to locate a manual for this vehicle. Can you tell me what tire pressure I should use on this vehicle? The tires are 195/75R14. Thank you, Geronimo jliszak@msn.com

First off, welcome to the Forum. Second, you'll find you get quicker answers to your questions if you post in one of the sections above. There's not too much 'traffic' down here at the bottom of the screen!

A more 'normal' size tire to find on just about all Toyota MH is a 185R14, load range C or (preferably) D. That said, are the tires you have installed marked 'C' or 'D'? They should also be marked with the load carrying capacity and MAXIMUM inflation pressure. Opinions vary, but mine is that you do NOT want to inflate them to the maximum pressure marked.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

(Probably more than you wanted to know!)

You should be looking for a Load index of over 100 for a LT (Light Truck) tire. Lower than that and your dealing with a passenger car tire, which is not good. Also check that the tire is NOT marked 'Trailer Use Only'.

Do you happen to have Yokohama Y356 tires installed? They do offer a Load Range D tire in the size that you have. Looking at their specs, it has almost identical dimensions to their 185R14 tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356

Gerinono

Welcome to the Forums. The original size is indeed 185R14 although many run with 195's. Any larger and you run the risk of your back tires rubbing together when not fully injflated and causing tire failure. Even with dual tires on the rear there is a lot of extra stress on the sidewalls because our extra weight causes more sway. The difference in "C" and "D" range tires is an extra ply to the sidewalls, so I would only purchase 8 ply - "8 PR" - load range "D" tires. The most popular manufacturers ane Yokohama, Hankook/Nankook and Nexen. If you want to buy tires on line Tire Rack and Tires-Easy are good sources. I stress "D" because when I bought my Toy it had 5,000 miles on a full set of new "C" range and the rears were already showing signs of side wall stress. At that time I replaced the rears only thinking I could get mileage out of the fronts, but with only 8,000 additional miles the fronts had "feathered" and "cupped" and were causing an irritating thump going down the road and needed replacing. McShank

First off, welcome to the Forum. Second, you'll find you get quicker answers to your questions if you post in one of the sections above. There's not too much 'traffic' down here at the bottom of the screen!

A more 'normal' size tire to find on just about all Toyota MH is a 185R14, load range C or (preferably) D. That said, are the tires you have installed marked 'C' or 'D'? They should also be marked with the load carrying capacity and MAXIMUM inflation pressure. Opinions vary, but mine is that you do NOT want to inflate them to the maximum pressure marked.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

(Probably more than you wanted to know!)

You should be looking for a Load index of over 100 for a LT (Light Truck) tire. Lower than that and your dealing with a passenger car tire, which is not good. Also check that the tire is NOT marked 'Trailer Use Only'.

Do you happen to have Yokohama Y356 tires installed? They do offer a Load Range D tire in the size that you have. Looking at their specs, it has almost identical dimensions to their 185R14 tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356

Thank you Derek up North!

My tires are Goodyear LT, load range C, 4 ply (2 steel 2 nylon) Max pressure 50 psi. I probably should keep them at 45 psi.

Geronimo in Seattle

Wow, lucky guess that you had Goodyear tires.Too bad the tire inflation chart doesn't cover that model/size.

It certainly sounds as though you should keep the tires inflated to 45-50psi, as they're load range C.

Have you checked the age of your tires?

When it comes time to replace, you could consider the Yokohama Y356 (Summer) and Hankook PA08 (4 Season). Both are available in load range D.

Not sure if these are what you have installed, but they seem to be the only tires in that size currently offered by Goodyear.

http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+AT&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=195&aspectratio=75&rimdiameter=14&sidewall=BSL