Chinook Information

Excalibur

Hey everyone, I am having a hard time finding much information on the Chinook Pop-Top. Specifically, I wanted to know if they can sleep 2 adults and 2 (little) children - one is an infant, the other is 3. Also, I assume most of them come with a propane heater for the nights, correct?

My assumption is the table makes into a full or queen, the small area over the cab is good for a small child, and the other little one could sleep on a pipe cot over the front seats?

I've been looking for something a bit larger (dolphin or similar) but they either are $5K rotted out junk or they want $10K for a decent 1985 up here. Because of this, I'm starting to look into the possiblity of a chinook.

Also, I believe due to their smaller size and weight, the 5 lug rear axle is not a issue on the chinooks. Am I correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Excal...

Go for it!

(or not)

I've got a '76 chinook and can help a little. Mine was a $400 project so it doesn't have all of the pieces. It does not have a heater, but I have heard that some do. I am considering the possibility of running a small space heater off of the deep cell, but don't know about that yet. I also don't have the table so I can't say how it folds down, but I believe it would make into a full size bed. The space up above could hold a small child; my concern would be him/her falling out (would need a rail or something). As far as the front seat arrangement... I don't know.

I might get yelled at a little here, but the five lug doesn't seem to be a problem with these vehicle as long as you don't over load it.

Mine fits me just fine and I like it really well. Four people seems a little tight (even with one of them an infant), but what the heck, fun is fun.

You might check Craigslist and fly the family down to Seattle if you find something interesting, and drive everybody back home in comfort and style. (Okay, that might get a little pricey, but you would build a memory that would stay with everyone forever... and that's not a bad thing:)

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, you got the right idea for sure. Chinooks got it all and more.

Good gas mileage (essentially the same for a small truck/car). Propane heater, sink, refrig or icebox, sink, electricity unit, mine had a toilet which I took out cause was kinda gross.

The two child thing, well, I suppose you could fit an infant above the drivers seat in that part that sticks out, but might fall out, which would obviously be not so ideal. The good thing about Chinooks is that you can rig up (almost) anything you can dream up. So if you wanted to put an infant up there, there'd be not too much of a problem of putting up an infant barrier so the little guy didn't take a dive.

Also, in my chinook, I had the main bed and then there were two bunk beds on either side spanning the width of the chinook. This was actually an "upgrade" high end feature in some chinooks. You could opt for this bunk bed situation. If you buy a chinook it'll likely not have this option. However, the Turkey Hunter who owned it before me hired a professional carpenter to install bunk beds essentially consisting of to slabs of wood by drivers seat and back of chinook. On the slates of wood rests a long peice of plywood that is your bunk bed. Toss on a piece of foam and you're good to go. Again, would probably want to add barrier there so you're little guys don't take a plunge.

Well, happy Chinook hunting. It'll be the best investment you've ever made. Try crazedlist.

peace.

Last week I ended up getting lucky and finding a '78 chinook newport (the big brother to the pop-tops). Took it out last weekend for an impromptu camping trip and it worked great. Very warm and comfortable. Even was getting 22-24mpg with it going through the mountains--note loaded as lightly as I could get it, but a full water tank. I love this little beast!

Now if I could only find a replacement drivers door and hood for it - ain't rust great!

I am debating doing a quick rattle-can paint job on the cab to help stop the rusty spots (surface rust for the most part). Anyone recommed a product for this? Not looking for perfection by any means, just looking for a product that will make it look a bit better, and stop/slow the rust.