Brand Identification hlep?

hilslamer

First post, new lurker too but there seems to be a lot of great info here. I found this ad:

http://santafe.craigslist.org/rvs/1737946060.html

(picture link of that webpage here, if it's expired)

870259356_AxAfN-O.jpg870259304_fxtXE-O.jpg

870259368_QSX6G-O.jpg

...and can't seem to figure out which brand this is. It looks pretty slick, and I think I could find a way to make it work for my needs, but it's the only one like that I've ever seen to be sure... and very slick. I can deal with the fact that it's n '84 and may not have the full-floating axle, but also wan tot be sure that it's not some oddball fiberglass brand that falls apart in the sun in AZ here...not that it; hasn't made it 160k miles already, but ya know? Also any brand info can always help.

Thanks in advance!

...and can't seem to figure out which brand this is. It looks pretty slick, and I think I could find a way to make it work for my needs, but it's the only one like that I've ever seen to be sure... and very slick. I can deal with the fact that it's an '84 and may not have the full-floating axle, but also want to be sure that it's not some oddball fiberglass brand that falls apart in the sun in AZ here...not that it; hasn't made it 160k miles already, but ya know? Also any brand info can always help.
That's a 'Bandit'. Pretty rare and I can't tell you too much about them. The builder reported went belly up in 1990. They were also built on the Nissan and Chevy S-10 chassis. A more modern version but similar to the Chinook. Would be sweet to mount the coach on a more modern 4x4 chassis. I think it's been done before. That one's missing the usual stripes. 'Facilites' are a PortaPottie, if you can live with that. Should get good gas mileage with it's low weight and frontal area. And it's low profile and center of gravity should let it handle corners and cross winds better than most. http://athensga.craigslist.org/cto/1702273791.html I think they're probably light enough to get away without upgrading to a 1-Tonne axle. Haven't read anything about them to indicate that they'll fall apart on you any more than any other fiberglass item that's 25 years old! Good luck and keep us in the loop.

post-3557-12741337934497_thumb.jpg

post-3557-12741342929784_thumb.jpg

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Hmmm...so, looking around and here is your 4x4 conversion:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=372335

KenTrinderbandit1.jpg

Seems like that IS exceedingly rare. I wish it did have a shower/pottie, though...thinking about living out of one of somethign like that for a while, and that pretty much negates it as an option.

Thanks for the info!

And an S-10.

Sorry, but I don't have any better Toyota Bandit pictures, but I assune that the interior layout is the same.

1 thing I'd be concerned with would be thea limited amount of storage space, given the short fixed walls and lack of overhead cabinets. That, and the sparse bathroom facilities.

Yes, that last set of pictures is the S-10 version. Depending on the year built, the S-10 MIGHT be only the 2.8 60 degree V-6.

Don't know why, but I had a real problem (obviously) with posting pictures and double postings. One of life's little (computer) mysteries!!! Thanks, Bill Gates!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post and I hope it's ok as my rig is not a Toyota. I have an '87 Bandit mounted on a 4X4 Dodge Ram50 (Mitsubishi Mighty Max). My interior is similar to some of the other ones posted but it does have a portapotty. At the back, there is a small counter section with a hinge that flips up and gives one access to the potty; I love this feature. I bought mine in November. It was in pretty good shape, only had 77,000 mi on it and I drove it from the Bay area to WA state without incident. I have been slowly doing work on it to spruce it up a bit but these pictures are from when I first got it home. The biggest project so far has been redoing the RV electrical system. I will mostly be dry camping so I added a second 12v battery, a new isolator switch, new converter, 2 vented/draining battery boxes, etc. Next, maybe some solar panels. I'm not sure if the owners kept up with recommended service intervals, so I'm slowly working through them. Next winter, I'll get it painted (white I think) and fix the sagging roof. If anyone has any thoughts on the roof, I'd love to hear them! I also want to get the springs beefed up or replaced as the rear end sags a bit. But I don't know if it has the floating rear axle as I don't know how to tell. I'm really looking forward to using it this summer and even more so next winter.

Sue

post-3367-1275166109073_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751661262522_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751661515123_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751661685572_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751661843475_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751661984856_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751662094298_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751662217308_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751662336214_thumb.jpg

post-3367-12751662452296_thumb.jpg

Doesn't bother me if it's on a D50. The camper part's the same! I used to own an '87 myself.

I'm not sure if there's any need to worry about the rear axle on the D50, especially with the relatively light Bandit mounted on it. Get the rear springs re-arched and maybe add some air springs.

I also like to see motorhomes that are painted colors other than white! I guess it makes sense to paint at least the roof white. But if I was repainting, I'd be tempted to keep at least a little bit of color!

Good luck with the refurb and I'm sure people here won't mind helping answer questions about the coach systems.

Thanks Derek. This is the first thing I've ever owned besides a tent so I'm a little over my head. I originally had a fantasy about doing all the work myself but it hasn't worked out that way - yet! I haven't made a final decision about the paint color but I was only considering white as it is always over 100 degrees in the summer where I live. Most people look at it now and think I'm crazy but I keep pictures of Ken Tinder's 4X4 Bandit in the rig to show them what I hope it looks like eventually, lol.

Hi, this is my first post and I hope it's ok as my rig is not a Toyota. I have an '87 Bandit mounted on a 4X4 Dodge Ram50 (Mitsubishi Mighty Max). My interior is similar to some of the other ones posted but it does have a portapotty. At the back, there is a small counter section with a hinge that flips up and gives one access to the potty; I love this feature. I bought mine in November. It was in pretty good shape, only had 77,000 mi on it and I drove it from the Bay area to WA state without incident. I have been slowly doing work on it to spruce it up a bit but these pictures are from when I first got it home. The biggest project so far has been redoing the RV electrical system. I will mostly be dry camping so I added a second 12v battery, a new isolator switch, new converter, 2 vented/draining battery boxes, etc. Next, maybe some solar panels. I'm not sure if the owners kept up with recommended service intervals, so I'm slowly working through them. Next winter, I'll get it painted (white I think) and fix the sagging roof. If anyone has any thoughts on the roof, I'd love to hear them! I also want to get the springs beefed up or replaced as the rear end sags a bit. But I don't know if it has the floating rear axle as I don't know how to tell. I'm really looking forward to using it this summer and even more so next winter.

Sue

Cheers! ..and welcome to the forum.

Form the pics you posted ( bit small) it appears you have a floating axle. A large hub should be popping out of the centre of your wheel, and it appears that there is. Either way, that camper really doesn't appear to be over the limit for what the pickup was designed to carry in it's bed anyway...so, no worries there.

I am a dry camper (boondocker) myself and have outfitted my rig accordingly. Solar, wind, batteries, inverter, etc. You can see all the details, plus see the interior woodwork i did, if you flit on over to this section of the forums.... http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2436&st=0&p=14184&hl=5%20lug%20axle&fromsearch=1entry14184 .... Just scroll down to see the pics and how I did it.

Any other questions, feel free to post them.

Cheers

Hi, this is my first post and I hope it's ok as my rig is not a Toyota. I have an '87 Bandit mounted on a 4X4 Dodge Ram50 (Mitsubishi Mighty Max).

I had not seen any of these mounted on a D50 - interesting. That s good example and this gives me confidence that I could find one of these and re-mount the camper on another vehicle, 4x4, etc.

What sort of mileage do you get with the D50 + Bandit combo?

At the back, there is a small counter section with a hinge that flips up and gives one access to the potty; I love this feature.
nice feature (does it also have a cabinet door to conceal the potty as well? Lift counter + swing out door?) and nice looking camper.

On the road trip up I-5 from CA to WA, I averaged 15mph with a low of about 13.5 in the mountains and a high of 16.9 on the flat. It is a bit gutless on hills, but it goes downhill like the wind!

bajajuice, no, it only has the flipdown counter not a door on the front. I thought about adding one, but I discovered that it is a great place to store things enroute. I store stuff in that space that I want to access quickly like my steps plus tall things like chairs, rolling camp table, flyrods, etc. until I get to camp. Now, I'm thinking of adding a curtain instead of a solid door.