Michigan to Seattle, south to San Diego and back

Rader85

Hi there,

We're planning a two-Toyota caravan with friends from Michigan to Seattle, south to San Diego and back. I've been to some of these places before, but would love to hear any suggestions about the little out of the way places that should be added to the plan (especially along the coast).

Also, we will be traveling with our two Weimaraners (dogs). Bad idea??

Thank you in advance for your hard-earned wisdom:)

Sincerely,

Aaron Johnson

Very cool! Mt rushmore, wall drug, Yosemite.... when in seattle, don't pass up PIKE PLACE MARKET! there is a ton to do around Seattle, make sure you go up route 2 to Levenworth, and old german town about 90 minutes from seattle.

Wish my kids were older, I'd join you!

Hi there,

We're planning a two-Toyota caravan with friends from Michigan to Seattle, south to San Diego and back. I've been to some of these places before, but would love to hear any suggestions about the little out of the way places that should be added to the plan (especially along the coast).

Also, we will be traveling with our two Weimaraners (dogs). Bad idea??

Thank you in advance for your hard-earned wisdom:)

Sincerely,

Aaron Johnson

]make sure you go up route 2 to Levenworth, and old german town about 90 minutes from seattle.

Wish my kids were older, I'd join you!

Leavenworth is NOT an old german town. Back in the day, it was a railroad town, but when the railroad went bust, the town was headed that way also. So the town Fathers (and Mothers I presume)Got together and DECIDED to recreate a Bavarian atmosphere in order to lure tourists up that way. They were quite succesful, and the town is now a tourist draw for it's kitschy Bavarian architecture and style, but it's decidedly artificial.

As for traveling here in the Northwest, My suggestion is to come across Highway 20 in Washington through some of the most beuatiful vistas around along the North Cascades. From Winthrop to Mt Vernon the highway winds through some magnificent mountains, and it's all downhill!!(my Toyota is only 4 cylinders). From Mt Vernon (mostly a shopping/commercial town) You could divert North to Vancouver Canada - see Stanley park - it has a nice aquarium - and perhaps take a ferry over to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Butchart Gardens is a huge landscape of flowers with walking trails throughout. Going south, swing by Whidbey Island and say Hi to us - then head down to Seattle for Pike's Place Market and the Space Needle. The Seattle waterfront is an interesting place to hang out for a day. If you have plenty of time, take a drive around the Olympic Peninsula, or just head down to Tacoma and then west to Highway 1 at Aberdeen WA, then follow Highway 1 the rest of the way down the coast to San Diego.

The Oregon Coast is a beautiful drive, with lots of little communities and campgrounds along the way. Great for dawdling along and enjoying the trip itself. Once you get to Northern California, make take to explore both the National and the State Redwoods parks - both are different and both are fantastic. In the National Park, take the trip over to Fern Canyon and camp on the beach (very windy) and watch for Elk wandering through camp. Further south, the State Redwoods Park offers great views of the Eel river and the Avenue of the Giants - IMMENSE trees!. I don;t recall the name of it, but there is a nice campground at the north end of the park about 4-5 miles west of the main highway. It's a state park campground that is in the middle of an old homestead, and at the right time of year you can pick fresh apples and pears, as well as lots of berries from the campground itself.

As you progress South, the road leads inland for awhile, bypassing "The Lost Coast" of California - there are some winding little roads that let you stay near the coast, but it's been a few years since I've been there so I can't recall their names - but eventually you have the choice of taking highway 101 (the faster inland route) or cut back to the coast on Highway 1. I recommend Highway 1 - stop at Fort Ross for a look at an old Russian trading Fort, and at Mendocino to take in the views there. As you approach San Francisco, take a few days to enjoy Point Reyes National Seashore - long drive out to the lighthouse but well worth the time. Then continue South to San Francisco and All that that city has to offer. Cable Cars, a ride out to Alcatraz island, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Park (another awesome aquarium and museum). From here you'll need to decode of you've had enough coast, or want to explore mountains for awhile. If coast, stay on highway 1 and head south to Santa Cruz and Monterey (the King of aquariums). Monterey has a nice, little-known campground right in town at the top of a hill called Veteran's Park. Most folks don't know about it but it's the only camping area I know that's so close to town. As you progress south you'll find Carmel and Big Sur, ending down at Hearst castle - a splendid example of too much money for your own good....

If you prefer mountains (this would be my choice after so many miles of coast) follow highway 80 and 50 up to Placerville, then Highway 49 winds down through the Gold Country with lots of little towns that celebrate the Gold Rush. Eventually you can cut up into Yosemite and a park that I still think is the best in the country. Another option is to continue up highway 50 from Placerville to Lake Tahoe, spend some time there, then down the back side of the Sierras to Mono Lake, an interesting place in itself if a little desolate, then you can cut up into Yosemite from the East side - but only during the summer as the pass is closed in winter. Spend at least 4-5 days here, then head down to King's Canyon/Sequoia National Park from more big trees.

Whew! Was that the kind of info you wanted? I didn't get much further south than this, so you're spared more of my ramblings. PErhaps you'll need an English Speaking guide when you pass through here?????

Thanks for your input, Mikesta.

I almost forgot about Mt. Rushmore along the way. Pike Place Market sounds interesting as well. Hopefully we will have time to head to Levenworth... So much to see; so little time:)

Cheers,

Aaron

Edited by Rader85

Thanks, WhidbeyDave!

I am going to have to break your message down onto note cards and put it with the Rand McNally and the GPS:) What a great wealth of information! We really appreciate your insight.

Thanks again,

Aaron

I live in San Diego and we are driving to Wisconsin next month, maybe we will cross paths. When you get to San Diego stay at Campland by the Bay, very nice. Also indulge in the great Mexican food here, the smaller taco shops are the best, eat Burgers in Ocean Beach at Hodad's, and enjoy Balboa Park. Any beach camping you can get at San Elijo, Carlsbad State Beach are awesome. I wish you a very safe trip.

Hey Ken,

I really miss the Mexican food! I can't remember the name of one I used to live near - I think it was off of Garnet?? Aside from going to boot camp in San Diego, I've surfed a few couches in the area as well:) The last place was about 5 blocks East of the beach on Law St. Good times indeed...

Thanks for the heads-up on the camping spots as well...

I don't know whether or not you surf, but if you do, bring a longboard. Yeah, we're a bunch of lake-surfing kooks around here and Sheboygan, Wisconsin has some good breaks. YouTube "Surf Michigan" for some good kicks:)

Safe travels to you as well, my friend.

• 4 weeks later...

Michigan to Yellowstone, Seattle, Portland & San Francisco. Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara & Huntington Beach. Grand Canyon, Southern Utah & Central Colorado... Friday marks the first of 6000 miles! Slightly stoked:)

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions - this is truly a great online community.

Good Luck Mate!

Cross country cruising is the best! The only advice I can give is take your time. Being on a tight schedule is more stressful given the inevitable delays, photo ops, and the slow cruising of our rigs. It truly is all about the journey... Also, take more pics than you think you'll ever need.

I'll be heading out to Southern Cali from Florida once I get my new gas tank in after being rust-proofed. After being rusted over twice in one year, it was time to get her sealed!

Hopefully I'll see you out there. You can see my rig on this page... http://toyotamotorho...showtopic=2436.

Cheers Mate!

Jay from Oz

• 4 months later...

Michigan to Yellowstone, Seattle, Portland & San Francisco. Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara & Huntington Beach. Grand Canyon, Southern Utah & Central Colorado... Friday marks the first of 6000 miles! Slightly stoked:)

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions - this is truly a great online community.

So....Rader85....did you survive the trip?