fiberglass restoration & care

McShank

I am seeking advice on the restoration of the fiberglass on our Sunrader. It looks like a sequence of Meguiars' #49 oxidation remover followed by #45 high gloss polich and finished with #56 wax gets high reviews but I would like to hear from any Sunrader owner about what has worked for them. There are probably more good products out there than just Meguiars.

Seamus McShank

I am seeking advice on the restoration of the fiberglass on our Sunrader. It looks like a sequence of Meguiars' #49 oxidation remover followed by #45 high gloss polich and finished with #56 wax gets high reviews but I would like to hear from any Sunrader owner about what has worked for them. There are probably more good products out there than just Meguiars.

Seamus McShank

Hi Seamus--I have tried most all of them over the years and the only one that I have found that restores and brings back the shine is a product called Vertglas. It is a marine product that is a four-part process. Very easy to use and apply and last for quite a while. Do a web search and you will find info. Only downside is that the kit cost about $85., but take it from me it works! If you want any further info or want to discuss this, e-mail me at chartrue2@aol.com

Seamus McShank

I have not tackled the exterior of my Sunrader yet but I had great results on a fiberglass 5th wheel trailer using 3M products. 3M has so many products that I found a customer service number to call on their website and was transferred to the correct department. Keep in mind the Sunrader seems to be gel coat fiberglass with a very smooth coating and the 5th wheel I had was plain fiberglass that was a little rougher. Mine was also very weathered and chalky. If you rubbed up against it your clothes became a dusty white. They recommended a 3M marine compound/wax followed up by a pure wax. They also recommended a specific 3M buffing pad and a certain RPM for the orbital buffer. I used their recommendations and had great results. I skipped the last waxing as the 33' 5th wheel was so huge it took a month of weekends to do and I was selling it anyway. I recommend getting painters tape and covering up the decals. The buffer was picking up some dye from them and spreading it around. Compound/wax was $12/bottle in 2007, buffing pad was about $35 (same one did the whole trailer and is still good....great quality!) and I spent about $50-60 on the buffer at Northern Tool & Equipment. I wanted a more well known brand but this was the only one I could find with the proper RPM. It still works fine.

Meguiars used to have a similar service where you called and told them about your vehicle and they recommended particular products. They may still have this.

When I do the Sunrader I plan on calling 3M again. I want an expert opinion from the people who designed the product not the minimum wage worker at the parts store who wants to sell what's on their shelf.

Well my wife has decided cleaning the fiberglass will be her project. A guy from a boat restoration shop suggested using "soft-scrub" on the oxidation. It made some inprovement and did not scratch the finish. She next used "TR3" and it looks great, put some shine and depth back in. Probably will still need a waxing. I'd still like to hear from any other old fiberglass experiences. Going to a Toyhome rally in So. Cal. next week end and hope to meet more Toyota Motorhome owners.

Seamus McShank

I used a product call Gel-Gloss, available in the bathroom section of either Lowe's or Home Depot, maybe both. I can't remember which one I bought it at. It's used to restore the shine to fiberglass tubs and the like. The corrugated fiberglass on my Granville was getting pretty "furry" in spots when I bought it. I gave it a shot after reading about it. Two applications of it and some wax did a very impressive job. Inexpensive as well.

I used a product call Gel-Gloss, available in the bathroom section of either Lowe's or Home Depot, maybe both. I can't remember which one I bought it at. It's used to restore the shine to fiberglass tubs and the like. The corrugated fiberglass on my Granville was getting pretty "furry" in spots when I bought it. I gave it a shot after reading about it. Two applications of it and some wax did a very impressive job. Inexpensive as well.

Interesting. I just had a look at their website and see they also sell specific RV and Marine versions of Gel-Gloss. I wonder how much difference there is between the different versions? And where to buy them locally? I'll be keeping my eyes open for a small bottle to experiment with. Nice that it's available in larger (1 gallon) containers, too!

This is the version I used. Home Depot has it.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh4/R-100576118/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Took some elbow grease but no worse than waxing. Pretty good stuff.

Interesting. I just had a look at their website and see they also sell specific RV and Marine versions of Gel-Gloss. I wonder how much difference there is between the different versions? And where to buy them locally? I'll be keeping my eyes open for a small bottle to experiment with. Nice that it's available in larger (1 gallon) containers, too!

I used 2 3M products - The roof was fairly well oxidized and I used 3M fiberglass Restorer and wax on it. The sides were not as bad and I used 3M cleaner and wax on them. It took some work - I applied the product by hand and used an orbital polisher to finish it. It lasts about 6 months. We don't have a garage and it sits outside so gets lots of sun. I get the product at Walmart. I'll try to attach a photo of the roof after I finished it.

Bill

post-137-12718914501029_thumb.jpg