Outer Banks NC

bufbooth

• 1 month later...

Hi Dennis,

The Outer Banks are an awesome place to camp and enjoy the many, many miles of beaches. It gets pretty busy out there during the peak, summer season and I usually go either during the Spring or Fall.

The beachfront homes are really affordable to rent during the off-season with a few good friends. We usually plan on about $200.00 per person for a full week's rental - right on the beach. Yes, you read that correctly...

From north to south:

Waves is a small town with a huge kiteboarding center (Real Kiteboarding). Check them out for lessons and gear.

Avon is a town with more things like a chain grocery store (Food Lion), movie theater, restaurants, tourist traps and such.

Buxton is a bit less busy, and the Cape Hatteras lighthouse is right there on the point.

Frisco has a small airstrip offering plane rides (which I highly recommend), a maritime museum and the ferry dock to Ocracoke Island.

I hope this helps - enjoy your trip if you haven't already left:)

Cheers,

Aaron Johnson

• 2 months later...

Hello Aaron,

Just getting caught up on my replies, thanks for the Outer Banks tips, we ended up renting a house in Avon called the

Beach Barn (was an old barn in the past), a very nice place to rent. We were able to bring our dog with (Golden Retriever)

which after a few days he learned to body surf. He would swim out to get his Ball and as he swam back in he would look

over his should watching for the wave to hit him, as the wave was about to hit, he would stop swiming and put his nose

straight up in the air and would ride the wave.

We saw a nice modified Sunraider just a few blocks from the house, it was a 78 or 79 model and had a V8 engine, 4WD,

and a non-Toyota rear axle.

Weather was great, beach was near empty. Be sure to hit the beach at night, neat things to see crawling on the beach,

plus the waves sound neat in the dark.

Later,

Dennis...

• 8 months later...

Outter Banks

I think if you can drive south of Nags HEad, you will leave most of the strip malls behind. As you approach Hatteras Lighthouse you will find several private campgrounds and nice beaches. At Hatteras you can camp on federal camping areas but now power.