Purchasing 1993 Spirit

JustDave

I am thinking about purchasing a 1993 Itasca Spirit with V6 and only 39,000 miles. The unit is generally on good shape with new tires and a new roof air conditioner. The unit has only been driven about 200 miles in the last 2 years due to an illness. I do know the person selling the unit.

While I was inspecting the unit I detected a slight miss at low idle. It seemed to go away when I reved it up and I could not feel anything while driving. I have never owned a Toyota before and I was wondering if this was typical or could there be a major problem?

I also was wondering about the towing capacity. I need to pull about 1700#'s.

Thanks

Edited by JustDave

I am thinking about purchasing a 1993 Itasca Spirit with V6 and only 39,000 miles. The unit is generally on good shape with new tires and a new roof air conditioner. The unit has only been driven about 200 miles in the last 2 years due to an illness. I do know the person selling the unit.

While I was inspecting the unit I detected a slight miss at low idle. It seemed to go away when I reved it up and I could not feel anything while driving. I have never owned a Toyota before and I was wondering if this was typical or could there be a major problem?

Thanks

Hi Dave--sounds like you have found a good unit. Can't help you with the engine miss, but why don't you take it to a trusted mechanic and have it checked out. It may be something simple, but if not, how much can it cost to correct it? I say go for it and put your doubts behind you!

As for the towing capacity, I think you will find most here will say no towing/no way. Do a search on towing on this forum and you will get lots of info.

Thanks

Sounds like a good find. I have a 91 Spirit. It had 47K miles on it. I've put on 9K this year. I immediately had all hoses, fluids, belts changed and have not had a single problem (knock on wood). I also changed out all tires and had the timing belt and waterpump changed replaced, too.

When I took it to my small town mechanic he said "I don't work on motor homes" to which I replied just work on the Toyota part. Now he wants to know how our trips went and what my mileage was. Get a mechanic emotionally invested and you have found a great resource.

Towing? Hmmm? Maybe 500 lbs max, but if you do then consider changing over to synthetic lubricants in both the engine and transmission. I'm also looking into adding a heavier rear springs so I don't have to worry about tearing off my very exposed plumbing. The Spirit is one saggy butted rig. A trailer would only exacerbate that.