NEW Toyota 6 lug floater rear differentials

I have 2 of these rear end assemblies available for sale. They came from a Motor Home factory where they were obviously replacement units that never got used. They were still in the shipping crate from Toyota. Included are 4 wheels, brake lines and hoses and u-bolts and plates.

Does anyone know how to tell if these will work to replace the 5 lug, non floater rears? Hopefully someone can use these.biggrin.gif

Thanks, Brian

theernes@comcast.net

They do fit but depending on the year varying amounts of fabrication may be required. There was a good demand for these a few years ago but it seems to have been falling off. I'm aware of another new in the crate one that has been for sale for awhile now. On another list someone had a low mileage one they were trying to sell for over a year - I haven't seen them advertise it lately so maybe it's gone.

I expect most of the surviving older rigs have gotten an axle swap by now. The ones that haven't may not be worth the hassle at this point. The floaters generally are very durable so most people that need one just pick them up in a salvage yard. The one I bought a year ago came on a '91 dually pickup that was complete with a dead v6. The person I bought it from got it for the electronics and the dash. It only cost me $150 for what was left. I went through the axle completely but it was like new inside. This is a good way to do an upgrade as I was also able to use the front hubs and have 6 lug wheels all the way around. It even came with a 6 lug spare. I've seen these axles with apparently zero maintenance at almost 500,000 miles and still going. I did see a catastrophically broken one on a motorhome but as far as I know it's the only one.

I've also heard some people put them on rock crawlers so there may be some demand there. Unfortunately, they need quite a bit of modification to work on a rockcrawler and there are lots of other options out there for the crawlers. Probably more for someone that wants to try and stick with Toyota parts as much as possible.

If I were selling them I'd keep them sealed in the original crating and make sure none of the parts in the kit are lost. Attached is a picture of the kit Toyota was providing for free during the recall campaign.

070.bmp

Thanks so much for the info! The attachment picture is definetely what I have. I took a chance at an auction to buy these rear ends. I knew that Toyota rears were very well built and commonly used in aftermarket projects such as rock crawlers and mud racers. That is pimarily why I bought them. After I did some research and found out about the recall, I though that they may just be best used in their intended application.

Is there a better place for me to place an ad for these diffs on this website? The classified section seemed to be geared mostly toward complete Motor Homes.

Thanks Again! Brian Erne

Join the Yahoo group and put a post up there that you have them available. It's a very active group and a good place to get the word out that you have some available. Here's a link: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/

I heard some motorhome manufacturers went under recently. Did they come from one of those?

Thanks so much for the info! The attachment picture is definetely what I have. I took a chance at an auction to buy these rear ends. I knew that Toyota rears were very well built and commonly used in aftermarket projects such as rock crawlers and mud racers. That is pimarily why I bought them. After I did some research and found out about the recall, I though that they may just be best used in their intended application.

Is there a better place for me to place an ad for these diffs on this website? The classified section seemed to be geared mostly toward complete Motor Homes.

Thanks Again! Brian Erne

I am interested in your axles.

Shoot me an e-mail

Sean

seastewa@yahoo.com

I have 2 of these rear end assemblies available for sale. They came from a Motor Home factory where they were obviously replacement units that never got used. They were still in the shipping crate from Toyota. Included are 4 wheels, brake lines and hoses and u-bolts and plates.

Does anyone know how to tell if these will work to replace the 5 lug, non floater rears? Hopefully someone can use these.biggrin.gif

Thanks, Brian

theernes@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...