How much would a 86 Winnebago be worth with a lexus V8?

turbobob

I just picked up an 87 Winnebago, either a 19 or 20 footer. This is going to be my first 4.0 Lexus V8 project, and I will be selling it after it is done. Interior is in great shape, how much do you think it would be worth. I am trying to find out if there is much interest in it.

There is allot to consider. Many variables.

A. If its your first conversion.... I wouldnt state that.

B. Working with Landcruisers as a hobby, I'd probably put a 3bt or 4bt Diesel engine in it rather than a gasser. Better mileage and torque.... just a little more modification though. But would be more sought after than a gasser.

c. condition of the home is important... how is the shell.

d. Axle upgraded already? Does the current chassis have records?

Honestly... I'd say $13,000 is seamless and no issues. If diesel and getting 20mpg I'd say $15-16,000.

But I dont Mod Motorhomes... just cruisers.

Picks... we need build pictures!

There is allot to consider. Many variables.

A. If its your first conversion.... I wouldnt state that.

B. Working with Landcruisers as a hobby, I'd probably put a 3bt or 4bt Diesel engine in it rather than a gasser. Better mileage and torque.... just a little more modification though. But would be more sought after than a gasser.

c. condition of the home is important... how is the shell.

d. Axle upgraded already? Does the current chassis have records?

Honestly... I'd say $13,000 is seamless and no issues. If diesel and getting 20mpg I'd say $15-16,000.

But I dont Mod Motorhomes... just cruisers.

Picks... we need build pictures!

I just picked up the motorhome. It is in pretty good shape. I don't know if the axle has been upgraded...how can I tell?

This will be my first lexus V8 converions, but I have done many other conversions that were much more difficult in toyota pickups.

Yes, I could see diesel conversions selling for more, but that is pretty much the cost of the engine that increases the price. I will be doing diesel conversions too for those who want to spend the extra money.

I will get pics of the vehicle later, as well as posting pictures of the conversion process. I will be pulling the motor out tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Another option is to use a Chevy 350 V8. I have seen this done

with a few Toyota 4x4 pickups, there is a CA company that sells

motor-mount and transmission adaptors. The Chevy 350 V8 looked

like it was at home.

One of the problems you are going to have with any V8 is the poor

gas mileage, along with a gas tank that was too small for the original

4 cylinder engine. One probably would have to fill up with gas every

150 miles.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi TurboBob,

Just wondering how your engine swap out is coming... Any updates? I am looking at getting a used sunrader but I am seeing a lot of 4 cylinders and I live in an area of 5000' passes and would like to get more power. I like your idea of putting in a bigger Toy engine and tranny. Please let me know how it's going.

thanx,

bradt

• 11 months later...
Hello,

Anyone have the name of the California company that makes an adapter plate to fit a Chevy 350 V-8 into a Toyota? Any first hand experience in doing such an engine swap?

TIA

Rob B.

Downey off road (as well as others) make complete conversion kits for several engines from V-6 to V-8

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/EngineComponents/index.htm