Flakey gas guage

picklebill

Hi all,

On our last trip, the gas guage got sort of intermittant. When the tank was full, the guage would go from full to empty and then back to full. This continues as the fuel is used from the tank. It sounds like a sender problem, but the previous owner had the original sender replaced about 40,000 miles ago. I have not heard that the the senders have been a problem with the Toyota pickups. How are the wires coming from inside the tank connected? Is there a plug or a terminal post? I can't see up on top of the tank to determine this. My theory is that there is a bad connection between the sender and the fuel gauge and this is a likely spot. Anyone out there had this problem?. The rig is a 1982 Sunrader with the stock tank and 22R engine. Thanks for any info.

Bill

Hi all,

On our last trip, the gas guage got sort of intermittant. When the tank was full, the guage would go from full to empty and then back to full. This continues as the fuel is used from the tank. It sounds like a sender problem, but the previous owner had the original sender replaced about 40,000 miles ago. I have not heard that the the senders have been a problem with the Toyota pickups. How are the wires coming from inside the tank connected? Is there a plug or a terminal post? I can't see up on top of the tank to determine this. My theory is that there is a bad connection between the sender and the fuel gauge and this is a likely spot. Anyone out there had this problem?. The rig is a 1982 Sunrader with the stock tank and 22R engine. Thanks for any info.

Bill

Bill, Hi.

Replace the fuel gauge. All mechanical fuel gauges have, lets say a brake?, that keeps the needle stiff so that it doesn't flip back and forth as the gas sloshes around in the tank which is what yours is doing now it sounds like to me. I've got the same issue with the gauge in my '75 chevy pickup. As the needle moves from full to empty and back over many years, it wears the little brake out. You probably notice that needle flips less when the tank is completely full as opposed to half a tank or less due to less room for sloshing.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

T.A.J.

Hi all,

Bill

Try a pipecleaner to clean out the gas exhaust vent It may be plugged. Start cheap and then move up.

Dave in Chelan