Well I located 2 6 bolt axles off of two different 1988 toyota flatbed pickups, What are they worth from a wrecking yard appx. ? Located 10 miles from my home-woo hoo

and would they be a good swap from my 5 bolt 1983 toyota huntsman ?

Thinking strongly about picking up one for my toy and selling the other to someone who may need it.

Thx

Joe

I have seen 1 ton axles sell from between $200 and $1200 depending on what the seller thought they could get and how badly they wanted to get rid of them.

It is not the kind of part that you need or want an "spare" sitting around.

Your truck is gong to have different upper shock mounts.

I have seen 1 ton axles sell from between $200 and $1200 depending on what the seller thought they could get and how badly they wanted to get rid of them.

It is not the kind of part that you need or want an "spare" sitting around.

Your truck is gong to have different upper shock mounts.

So are you saying that the 1 ton axle would not work at all , or do I need to have the shock mounts relocated ?

what would be a direct swap in then ? with my different upper shock mounts.

Edited by joetiff

So are you saying that the 1 ton axle would not work at all , or do I need to have the shock mounts relocated ?

what would be a direct swap in then ? with my different upper shock mounts.

What I did on my 1981 (which is the same series truck as yours) was to get upper shock mounts from the Toyota dealer and weld them onto the frame. You will need to mount them in the proper location. I have a 1988 pickup that I used as an example and put the new mounts according to where they were located.

The 1979-1983 trucks had shocks that went from the spring plate to a cross member and both shocks were mounted in front of the axle like this / \ The 1984-1994 trucks have one shock in front of the axle and one behind the axle and the shocks go from the spring plate to the frame not a cross member.

When you get a replacement axle get as many parts with it as you can (axle, springs, shock plates, etc) That way you will have all of the parts you need to do the swap over.

med_gallery_794_143_74456.jpg

What I did on my 1981 (which is the same series truck as yours) was to get upper shock mounts from the Toyota dealer and weld them onto the frame. You will need to mount them in the proper location. I have a 1988 pickup that I used as an example and put the new mounts according to where they were located.

The 1979-1983 trucks had shocks that went from the spring plate to a cross member and both shocks were mounted in front of the axle like this / \ The 1984-1994 trucks have one shock in front of the axle and one behind the axle and the shocks go from the spring plate to the frame not a cross member.

When you get a replacement axle get as many parts with it as you can (axle, springs, shock plates, etc) That way you will have all of the parts you need to do the swap over.

med_gallery_794_143_74456.jpg

Not to slow you down BUT......

you may want to call your local Toyota dealer and see what is still available for upper shock mounts. I did my axle swap 15 years ago so what I found easily may no longer be available

AND......

Just to toss in more for you to think about.

I used 4x4 upper shock mounts (larger shock shaft). I then put bronze bushings on the spring retaining plate shock mounts and used Bilstein 4x4 off road shocks on the rear.

So.... you may want to do some thinking before you start cutting away

I have a 87 toy 4x4 sitting out n the back pasture that I can get the shock mounts off of ! so I wont need to see the dealer.

So not a slow down at all !

thx again

I have a 87 toy 4x4 sitting out n the back pasture that I can get the shock mounts off of ! so I wont need to see the dealer.

So not a slow down at all !

thx again

Standard truck shocks will not fit over the larger post on the 4x4 upper mounts. Keep this in mind when look for rear shocks. You will have to enlarge the lower spring plate mount shaft to accommodate a 4x4 shock. I do not think you can use the 4x4 lower mounts because the axle is below the springs on a 4x4 and above the springs on a standard truck. I can't recall where I got the bushings to enlarge the lower shafts but it was not hard to locate them. Mic the diameter of the upper shaft and the lower shaft and then get a bushing that will slid on the lower mount and bring it up to what the upper shaft is.

Another think to keep in mind......

Springs on trucks made from 1989 on will be wider than your mounts. You will have to "custom fit" the larger springs into the narrower front brackets and modify the shackles so that they match both sides.

I did not have this issue as I used an axle and springs off of an early 1986 1 ton.

you may want to put in neoprene bushings while you have it all apart. The excessive weight of these coaches destroy the factory rubber bushings in 15-20k miles. The neoprene ones should last the lifetime of the vehicle. They do squeak if you don't get enough grease on them when assembling things.

Thank-You

for the info, it is much appreciated.

Off to the salvage yard to see exactly what we are going to do,

Iam sure I will have more ? as the time is near.

Thx again