Wrap around windows

Supurcar

I have read a lot of things about the wrp around windows. I keep putting off the rubber seal replacement because I am not sure if I can reuse the ones I have as they are very weak. I have thought about fabricating metal frames for the windows, or even filling in the space with fibre glass just because I do not need the windows anyway. I recently hasd a spray on bedliner added to another truck, and I had the thought of simply spraying the bedliner stuff right over the wrap around windows seal and all. I just wonder if the stuff would stick to the seals and the fibre glass, or is it only for metal surfaces? I think it would be a way to end the leaks and worries, and with a good prep job it might even look acceptable (they can add color to the liner stuff so it would blend in). Any thoughts on this idea?

There's a lot of water pouring off that roof and those corners where the windows wrap around are especially problematic. There's a lot of heat loss there as well. I've also heard of rocks being kicked up from trucks shattering them as well. So, I think eliminating those windows is a good modification.

Is this sprayon for the inside or the outside? I don't think painting over the rubber seals will help much in the longrun tho. Best would probably be to remove the seals all together if you're going to invest any time in this at all. I'd suggest glassing the plexiglass windows flush with the shell. If I remember correctly, they are slightly recessed as well? Don't know what kind of access you have to the interior or how much work/mess you're willing to make, but seems the interior should be glassed first. Once cured, fill the gaps on the outside with bondo or fiberglass filler, and glass the outside perimeter. Obviously you're going to have to scuff up/grind your windows to glass and so you're going to have to tape off a clean line if you plan to keep the windows as windows. Or scuff the entire surface up and paint it all.

I have actually done such a mod on my own camper. I elected to fill the void with fiberglass tho as it seemed easier/better for the longrun for my particular project. The fiberglass sheet was fabricated using some cheap shower paneling from home depot. The stuff is really thin and so a few layers of glass were laminated to the sheets to give it more rigidity. The sheets as you know, come with a textured finish and the backside is relatively smooth. This backside made up the exterior or "gel coat" side and the textured side was scuffed up/grinded to accept layers of glass.

Here are some pics of the process:

framing.jpg

3 "studs" were added to the front to help carry some of the load + help hold the panel in place. These studs will also be used in future plans to beef up the sagging roof as well as add a skylight. This is not necessary, but would think helps.

screwed.jpg

The panel was held flush with blocks + screwed to the studs while the glass cured on the inside. Once set, all screws were removed, gaps filled, and exterior glassed.

sideview.jpg

Here's the best pic I have at the moment of the inside.

primered.jpg

Here's the first layer of primer. Yes, it's rolled on. :)

We had 8 inches of rain with driving winds in one day 2 weekends ago! Greg in the mountains I heard had 12! Not a single leak! The first time as the owner of the sunrader have I had NO leaks up front! :) I'm happy.

rusty.jpg

Also, the manufacturers went ballistic with screws on these things. There must be a million screws on roofs, compartment doors, and this wrap around trim. You may want to invest some time removing all of this trim as well. Even if you reseal them with buttyl tape, the plastic insert itself will eventually dry up. When I see rusty screws like this, something tells me moisture is getting in there. I don't think you have to get as radical as what I did, (Not a single screw penetration on my entire camper), but the trim up front is a little mini dam and I'd be willing to bet a lot of sunrader's leaks in the cab are attributed to this trim as well.

Good luck w/ your project! TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS and just go with them. They're almost always right! :)

It looks great and just what I would like to do. I figure the bedliner or rhino liner might be easier and simply seal the whole mess up, if it will stick to everything, it is very thick and durable.

I see the wood frame on the inside, was this just to hold the pieces in place until the gel cured? And is it strong enough to withstand the 65-70 mph winds on the freeway? I was thinking if I glassed it I might make some fibreglass ribs or cross supports like they did in the real old hand laid fibre glass boats in the 1940s. So basically remove the windows, tack in some boards to hold the replacement panels, add the gel (I assume you are using the mesh as well) and when it dries remove the wood supports and patch those areas, and on to the exterior. I do not think I would be brave enough to remove the side windows and the strips, just the wrap arounds.

There is a rubber seal that goes into the exterior strips, it is cheap and is kind of pinched into the groove, it keeps water out and prevents the screws from rusting.

I figure the bedliner or rhino liner might be easier and simply seal the whole mess up, if it will stick to everything, it is very thick and durable.
Sounds like really good stuff.
I see the wood frame on the inside, was this just to hold the pieces in place until the gel cured?
Those are permanent. They are glassed to the top and bed of the overhead as well as to the panel itself.
And is it strong enough to withstand the 65-70 mph winds on the freeway?
Dunno. I sure hope so. :) Those braces prob help out quite a bit here. Sure seems really strong when I push hard against it. Maybe even stronger than the original windows. Definitely less flex it seems, so I'm going to say yes. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.
I was thinking if I glassed it I might make some fibreglass ribs or cross supports like they did in the real old hand laid fibre glass boats in the 1940s.
Yes, those plywood ribs are my cheap and easy way to simulate something like you describe. Glass has been wrapped around these plywood "ribs" and attached to the panel + some construction adhesive. Here's a pic of the roof that uses this same idea. The floor was also constructed this way, but don't have any pictures of the underside framing. The pics show the "ribs" before glass, glass being prepared (white) and finally in place on the cab. A bit hard to make out.

roofframe01.jpg

roofframe02.jpg

roofframe05.jpg

So basically remove the windows, tack in some boards to hold the replacement panels, add the gel (I assume you are using the mesh as well) and when it dries remove the wood supports and patch those areas, and on to the exterior.
Sounds good. I'd add "grind/scuff" up the inside to the list as well. Doing all the grinding before adding the supports and panels get in the way. Maybe you'll want to keep the boards if you elect to insulate this area and would make for a good backing for any kind of panel or skin to attach to. Plus the added support seems like a good idea. Integrating fiberglass ribs right into the panel as you suggest would make for the best design. I asked the wife if I could chop up an old fiberglass ladder we had, but got denied. We have different views on what constitutes "unused" junk laying around the house. :) Making these ribs from scratch might be a bit of work. Maybe rip some PVC or ABS in half?

2 types of glass were used for the job. The chopped up matted kind was used to build up the back side of my panel. Just rolled on a flat surface. And the woven type was used to glass the panels in place both on the outside and inside. The weave (or mesh I suppose it's called) will form around corners and sharp angles much easier than the "chopped" matte kind. For the corners themselves, you'll need to get a little creative with smaller pieces (triangles) to get that rounded wrap around look.

There is a rubber seal that goes into the exterior strips, it is cheap and is kind of pinched into the groove, it keeps water out and prevents the screws from rusting.
Ahh. Guess I got impatient or got a bit too ambitious. As it is right now, my camper doesn't have a single "penetration" anywhere. I need to "poke" a hole in the roof for the solar array cables + bought 2 more LED tail/stop lights that will probably be need to be "screwed/taped" to the rear. What's a good way to penetrate/seal the roof for my solar feeds? Maybe glass a little utility box or something?

Gluck w/ your project. Stay as safe as you can too, but there's only so much you can do without climbing into a full hazmat suit. Brain cells are getting hard to come by these days. I'm sure I've lost many working with all these chemicals over the years.