Filling Fuel Tank Issue

jpyzik

On the way back from a trip to Maine I encountered an issue where I could not fill the tank.

It keeps coming back out the filler hole even when I go really slow.

If I put it in slowly and let it drain down it empties out like a slow drain.

any ideas? is there a roll over valve down there??

Is the Maine trip the first time that you have encountered this problem? The filler hose should go straight to the tank, no valves or anything else. There may be some bends in the hose. It is possible that your hose has an obstruction in it or has collapsed. If your Toy is running a non-fuel injected engine there is a possibility that the vent hose is clogged. Just for the heck of it, did you try turning the gas handle upside down as you filled it? Mine actually seems to fill faster this way.

Allen

• 1 month later...

On the way back from a trip to Maine I encountered an issue where I could not fill the tank.

It keeps coming back out the filler hole even when I go reallly slow.

If I put it in slowly and let it drain down it empties out like a slow drain.

any ideas? is there a roll over valve down there??

I had the same problem on my 1989 Toyota Dolphin. I have been told it is a on-board recover ORVR valve, and it will cost about $160 for the part and then what ever the mechanic charges for labor.

I had the same problem on my 1989 Toyota Dolphin. I have been told it is a on-board recover ORVR valve, and it will cost about $160 for the part and then what ever the mechanic charges for labor.

A quick follow up to my gas fillings problem while on the road. An out of town mechanic told me I needed an on-board recover ORVR valve and maybe my gas tank removed and cleaned out when I couldn’t get fuel into my gas tank. Thank god the on-board recover ORVR valve was not available in his city at the time or else I probably would have let him do the work. But instead I limped home and took my motor home to my regular mechanic and he found the problem in minutes. It seems the return vent hose to the gas tank had developed a sag in the middle and when I overfilled my tank by topping it off, I got gas in the vent line and the sag acted as a trap that didn’t let the tank vent right. So instead of a $400 plus bill I had been quoted by the out of town mechanic, my local mechanic just blew out the line, tightened up the hose and charged me $25 for his labor. As of now everything seems to be working fine. He also suggested that I not top off my tank while refueling.