sunrader 18

helloo

If you have anything other than the factory 17.x gallon tank you have an aftermarket tank. As with any aftermarket product/part you will have to deal with the manufacture of the part/product if you have problems. Most of them used the factory mounts that were used on the 17.x gallon tanks. The best thing for you to do is to get under the RV and take a look at how yours is attached to see if supplemental supports were used

There were a few aftermarket fuel tank manufactures and some who made auxiliary tanks that work in conjunction with the stock fuel tank. There is no "standard/norm" for how these tanks were made or installed.

As to your floor flexing. A little give is normal. Pull back your carpet and take a look at the sub-floor to check for signs of past water leaks/damage. I would not worry about falling through. That won't happen with a Sunrader fiberglass shell.

I was looking at the brochure for the 1985 sunrader - it shows the 26 gallon tank as a factory option. Would this still be an aftermarket tank as far as the mounting issue you referred to?

Thanks.

brad

If you have anything other than the factory 17.x gallon tank you have an aftermarket tank. As with any aftermarket product/part you will have to deal with the manufacture of the part/product if you have problems. Most of them used the factory mounts that were used on the 17.x gallon tanks. The best thing for you to do is to get under the RV and take a look at how yours is attached to see if supplemental supports were used

There were a few aftermarket fuel tank manufactures and some who made auxiliary tanks that work in conjunction with the stock fuel tank. There is no "standard/norm" for how these tanks were made or installed.

As to your floor flexing. A little give is normal. Pull back your carpet and take a look at the sub-floor to check for signs of past water leaks/damage. I would not worry about falling through. That won't happen with a Sunrader fiberglass shell.

Composite structures are some of the strongest materials if they hold their core's integrity. What happens tho is the sunrader's floor composites delaminate. Once this happens the floor changes from a solid core to a bunch of flimsy materials. If the plywood is rotted badly enough, one could easily fall through to the aluminum underskirting.

:Poster_oops:

The sunrader floor design has other really troubling issues tho besides the integrity of the laminates. Probably the weakest flaw is that the undercarriage cross member tubular supports come to an abrupt end short of shell's perimeter. These sharp metal corners dig their way into the subfloor cutting right through the composites. I've peeked under a few raders and everyone of the ones I've inspected show some kind of penetration. Mine in particular was particularly bad due to the heavy offroading. Others such as Toyoguy have said theirs were even worse!

As these raders get older and older, I would expect to see more and more "floor" threads. I would be interested in reading what solutions others have come up with in dealing with what I feel is the suraders weakest design without a question. The flawed door/latch I consider not even remotely as bad as the floor! :)

Myself, I have completely rebuilt my floor by fabricating a fiberglass honeycomb frame and 1/2 inch plywood secured to it. The plywood has been laminated with 2 sheets of heavy fiberglass cloth and all new laminations to the walls. Another area where the sunrader workmanship/quality of materials is suspect. I'll try to get some updated pics up someday soon.

Good luck w/ your flooring project and hope to see more threads here at this forum in regards to this major issue.