Itasca aluminum framing?

toyboxII

Hi all--we now own a 1992 Itasca Spirit. We have been Toyota mini-motorhome owners since 1985 and this is our third unit. This is a GREAT site--thanks Greg for all your hard work.

Having owned this unit for about a month now, I have been going over it with a "fine-toothed comb". I thought I remembered that the Itasca was one of the few units that had aluminum framing for the box. I have discovered soft wood and wood rot in the overhead and as there is a large front window on the cabover, I am not surprised. I have re-sealed everything I can think of and have begun exploring my options as to repair/replacing the wood that is affected in the overhead. Dumb me, I assumed that because the Itasca was supposed to be aluminum framed, that this would not be a problem with this rig. As we are full-timers and have much experience with RV repairs of all types, I am confident that I can manage whatever I need to do. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has repaired their overhead. I have browsed the Gallery and seen what some members have gone through with repairing their problems. Thanks in advance for all your input.

Charlie T/1992 Itasca Spirit

They have some square aluminum tubing and wood framing with solid insulation board between the framing. This is covered by thin paneling then on the outside there is filon (thin fiberglass sheets) and on the inside by plywood with wall paper on one side. All of this is glued together under pressure into what I call a "sandwich board" panel.

These panels are screwed together to make the coach body. The joints where the panels are screwed together are covered by aluminum channel with a vinyl screw cover running the length of it. The aluminum channel uses butyl putty tape as a waterproofing to seal the seams where it is assembled.

These channels as well as the windows and all roof "bits" (vents, stack covers, etc) need to be removed every 5-7 years and the old butyl putty tape removed and replaced with new butyl putty tape and everything put back together. The AC units use a rubber/foam gasket but everything else is just putty tape for a seal.

You can get a diagram/drawing of where the wood and tubing is located inside of the panel assembly from Winnebago if you want to attach something to the roof or sides.

These panels are screwed together to make the coach body. The joints where the panels are screwed together are covered by aluminum channel with a vinyl screw cover running the length of it. The aluminum channel uses butyl putty tape as a waterproofing to seal the seams where it is assembled.
:thumbdown: That's a horrible design. I feel sorry for these owners.