First Time Buyer Questions

Guest gilly442

Guest gilly442

I am a first time motor home buyer. My general impression is that the Toyota models, much like their fleet of cars and trucks, provide much better fuel efficiency and low-cost of operation than the American made counterparts. As such I have made the decision to buy only Toyota.

My budget is $4,000 to $10,000. Here is what I have observed along with specific questions;

Engine

It seems some owners boast about a certain 4-cylinder engine as being "reknowned" for its reliability yet many others promote a certain 6-cylinder model. I also so vast differences in seller's claims relating to fule economy (I have seen anywhere from 12-22mpg quoted by sellers).

1. Is there a specific 4-cylinder engine to look for?

2. Is there as specific 6 cylinder engine to look for? It seems more power and a little less fuel efficiency would be a good compromise.

Axel Issues

I read somewhere that there were some models, I believe built in 1986, that had axels (single and twin) that were not engineered to support the weight load. Is there any truth to this...ie.e are there any years/makes/models to avoid?

Buyer Tips

I found the buyer tips on this web site to be hugely beneficial. Any specific things viewers want to urge me to "make sure to get" or "make sure to avoid"

would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you vieweres! I will certainly make a donantion before this process is over!

Gill442

Engine

It seems some owners boast about a certain 4-cylinder engine as being "reknowned" for its reliability yet many others promote a certain 6-cylinder model. I also so vast differences in seller's claims relating to fule economy (I have seen anywhere from 12-22mpg quoted by sellers).

1. Is there a specific 4-cylinder engine to look for?

2. Is there as specific 6 cylinder engine to look for? It seems more power and a little less fuel efficiency would be a good compromise

Hi Gill: I am only responding to your gasoline engine inquiry? Prior to Toyota Chassis model year 1988, these ToyHomes were basically equipped with a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder in line engine designated 22R, When fuel injection was introduced they were designated 22RE. you may want to Google "Toyota Pick Up Truck" Interest Groups or Wikipedia for more specifics on displacement.

The 1988 Toyota Chassis offered a 3.0 liter V-6 engine which of course is fuel injected, designated 3VZ-E.. So beginning in Toyota Chassis model year 1988 you have a choice of either a 4 cyl. or a 6 cyl. gasoline engine power train. Prior to this 6 cyl. introduction ToyHomes had various inline 4 cyl. engines. All Gasoline 4 cyl. engines were "R" Family 22nd generation engines, main visible difference was carburetor vs electronic fuel injection naturally aspirated vs efi turbo.

A diesel engine was also offered as a power train choice.

But usually the coach builders are using gasoline engines on a Toyota chassis manufactured in a prior year. Or the case may simply be that these same coach manufactures / builders are calling / titling their product as a year newer. For example my 1987 Gulfstream Conquest Motorhome is built on a 1986 Toyota Chassis. This may add some confusion to transition years of the Toyota Chassis dealing with engine choices and dual axel upgrades, etc. So it is highly important for you to know your chassis year of manufacture.

As for Engine Performance, I have owned several 4X4 Toyota Pick Up Trucks over the years, equipped with both 4 cyl. 22RE and currently a 6 cyl 3VZ-E. Yes, absolutely the 6 cyl. has more power. But the increase of power comes with higher maintenance costs.

Fuel efficiency for moving your ToyHome at 55 MPH, vs 65 MPH, vs 75 MPH are factors which only you can control.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Helloo, you are absolutely correct about the 2.4 liter 4 cyl. engine. The confusion is caused by the fact that it is the 22nd generation of Toyota's "R" Engine and has nothing to do with displacement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine#History_of_the_R_family" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engi...of_the_R_family</a>

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/22r_tech_notes.htm" target="_blank">http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Inform..._tech_notes.htm</a>