87 Dolphin

Ambroid

I will be picking up an '87 Dolphin with 33K miles on it. It has been sitting for 3 years. Besides checking and changing fluids is there anything "special" to this rig that I should check before moving it? I plan on draining out as much of the old gasoline that I can.

I will be picking up an '87 Dolphin with 33K miles on it. It has been sitting for 3 years. Besides checking and changing fluids is there anything "special" to this rig that I should check before moving it? I plan on draining out as much of the old gasoline that I can.

Tire condition and pressure, air cleaner box or air filter housing for rodent nests, also around the exhaust maifold, nests make nice little fires under the hood, and even the rubber brake lines, some rodents like porcupines like to chew on them.

Tire condition and pressure, air cleaner box or air filter housing for rodent nests, also around the exhaust maifold, nests make nice little fires under the hood, and even the rubber brake lines, some rodents like porcupines like to chew on them.

I "second" what NOLAN said (re general engine check-up). I'd add that you should check out the brakes (lines, pads/shoes, etc.), too. Check your aux battery. It will likely need to be replaced (won't hold a charge).

No doubt that you'll run into some trouble with A/C, fridge, or hot water heater (one or more of them...), also.

Finally, when you flush the system out, I'd put a couple of gallons of hot water into the toilet/waste reservoir in order to get the rubber seals nice and softened up (don't want to force them open and have them tear/rip). If you plan to use your fresh-water/drinking water reservoir, you should fill it with water and about 1/2 cup of bleach to kill any bacteria that may be lurking in it after its disuse. Let it sit a few hours (and pump some in the lines, too). Then, flush it all out (you'll obviously need to use the pump to clean it out... fill it up with water and pump it out a few times... vinegar [acetic acid] can help get rid of any residual bleach [sodium hypochlorite] taste...).

Have fun!

DWBMD