Hi all, first time posting and wanting to say Hi

Fairly new to the consideration of purchasing an RV. My dad keeps saying the Toyota RV mainly due to the great gas mileage and then as soon as I tell others about the consideration of this type of purchase they say beware because they can't get up hills.

My goal for signing up with this forum is to meet new people with similiar interests who enjoy the great outdoors and visiting new sites. I hope to learn as much as I can about RV's specifically the toyota.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads. And may all of you continue to have safe travels.

Thanks for having me, Robyne

By the way "Spirit" is my dog ( :

Hi, spiritandrobyne welcome. It makes a difference what kind of eng. 4 cly. or a 6cyl. how much weight you have in the motorhome ect. I have a 21ft. 6cly. auto. and with 3 people, clothes, and camping supplies I do not have a problem with the hills in 3rd gear. it just depends on the motorhome. And your fuel mileage also depends on those factors. Toyotas typically can get between 12 and 18 mpg if you have a nice flat road not too loaded down and your fuel does not contain ethanol (because it burns faster ) you might get close to 18.mpg If you plan on climbing mountains all the time I would stay away from the Toys but its fine once in a while. I love mine. Happy camping.

Thanks TexasToy.. what a great load of information. And I didnt know about the ethanol.. WOW.. great info.... And oh, does the ECR button (?) really make that much of a difference? To provide a little more detail myself, it will be just me and my dog, Spirit. Spirit is a 14 year old collie.

I will be making my way to Oregon from Texas and from there traveling up and down the coast from Oregon to Washington. Ive traveled manytime to Vegas (from South east Texas) via Arizona, so I am ok for the most part there.. but not sure how the terrain will be from Vegas on up towards San Fransisco and up to Oregon and then Washington State via coastal. All in all would like to avoid hills with too high of an elevation as one I do not fair well with steep, windy roads. Ive been talking with a few hosts of campgrounds and they have been providing me with a bit of info as to what roads to avoid when first arriving to Oregon. So that has helped, but all in all if I stay on the coast my one question is will there be too many hills. Ive looked at the maps and try to decipher via that, but nothing like some one who has traveled those roads. Also because I will be on my own, I would like to try and avoid any potentiallity of breaking down.. thus hills would be one thing for me to avoid.

Is it worth changing out the toy engine to something of a 350 chevy engine.... Does the toyo have a good enough chasis, floor plan, etc... in comparison to I don't know what? I would like to stay with a 21-24' though. Perhaps I am asking way too many questions, but I do know all the answers will not come at once... just things I know I should think about before consideration of purchase. You can't beat the great mpg of a toyo though but like you said it depends on the terrain. So the first thing for me would be to learn of the roads in which i will need to take. I don't mind going out of my way as I will be in no hurry.

WOW, this is getting way, way too long. thanks Toy for the great info and the warm welcome.

Hi, spiritandrobyne welcome. It makes a difference what kind of eng. 4 cly. or a 6cyl. how much weight you have in the motorhome ect. I have a 21ft. 6cly. auto. and with 3 people, clothes, and camping supplies I do not have a problem with the hills in 3rd gear. it just depends on the motorhome. And your fuel mileage also depends on those factors. Toyotas typically can get between 12 and 18 mpg if you have a nice flat road not too loaded down and your fuel does not contain ethanol (because it burns faster ) you might get close to 18.mpg If you plan on climbing mountains all the time I would stay away from the Toys but its fine once in a while. I love mine. Happy camping.
Edited by spiritandrobyne

The overdrive button on the shifter is great on a flat hwy, but once you start going up a hill the trans kicks down. If you have several hills that could be hard on the trans. I find that when I see a hill up ahead i speed up a little say from 60 to around 65 to 67 and I can clear most Texas hills without the trans kicking down. Once you drive one for a little while you will get used to the way it shifts and can accommodate for that. as far as ethanol , it does change your fuel mileage, I drive for a living, driving about 4000 miles a week.and let me tell you I can tell the difference between ethanol and non ethanol fuel. It burns cleaner but also faster. even if its only 10% .I think its a plan for us to use more fuel but dont get me started with the government. as far as your route im not sure about the hills I have never been that way, sorry. I would not change out the eng for anything other than a toyota eng. you might as well buy a chevy or ford motorhome in the class c 21 to 24 ft range but then you will be getting about 7 mpg. if you get an older one. I think if its just you and your dog, and can take your time and enjoy the drive plan a good route find a well maintained toy for a good price (and make sure you get a 1 ton 6 lug the 1/2 tons had probs and the 5 lug was recalled and some 5 lug were replaced with 6 so make sure yours is a factory 6 lug). You cant go wrong. Plus Toyota are just plain cool and I dont think you would find a better group of travelers than the toyota people.Well good luck with everything.

4000 miles a week.. WOW!!!!

I know what you mean with pressing on the gas before hitting the next hill.... Ive done that before... and now that I think about it I still do... so with that in mind I can handle that part. Im sure its just a matter of time where eventually I'll get over the people behind being frustrated.

I remember when I was younger, about 9 yrs old, my family and I took a cross country trip in a winnebago and what a blast. We made it over every hill.... and boy were there some major hills, especially those in the bluegrass country of Kentucky. I remember being scaired out of my witts with some of those turns though, ugh!!!

As far as Toyotas, this is more than likely what I will be sticking with getting, especially with my dad hounding me. I look forward to learning more and finding the right toy for me and Spirit.

Thanks again Texas Toy.... after reading many of the posts I have to agree with "Toy people being the greatest". Many thanks, Robyne