Replacing the ceiling Fabric 1986 Sunrader-Suggestions???

jpyzik

Need to find out if anyone has experience or suggestions on how to replace the fabric in my 1986 Sunrader.

Also any suggestion for stapling or gluing the fabric back in place as a short term fix???

Thanks,

:D

First "DO NOT TRY TO STAPLE", the staples won't go into the fiberglass and you may perforate the roof. The head liner was originally glued in place. But the underside of these headliners had a 1/4" of foam that, after 20 years, has turned into dust. I redid the ceiling in my 87 Sunrader a few years ago and, as far as I know, it's still inplace. I have to do the same thing to the ceiling in my 89 Sunrader Adventure this summer. It's endemic to all of the Monterey Leisure produced units.

To repair you have to remove the strip that go across the roof in 2 or 3 places and drop three sides of one section of the headliner, leaving one end in place. Then, using a hand held wire brush and a vacuum cleaner, remove all of the old foam from the back of the headliner.

Next use some "Headliner Cement" available in spray cans from real auto aupply stores, to coat the ceiling with glue and then the back side of the headlioner. Then starting in the center of the piece you can work towards the edges and re position the headliner in place.

It's a bit messy, but it's the only short of taking it all down and starting over.

BWT: there are screws holding the strips in place. Pop the little buttons off and look underneath.

Sunrader Bob