Crossing the Canadian Border

Wen

Does anyone have information about the new regulations about crossing the Canadian border and back. We want to take our RV to Canada this summer, any tips would be appreciated. Yes, we have passports.

Does anyone have information about the new regulations about crossing the Canadian border and back. We want to take our RV to Canada this summer, any tips would be appreciated. Yes, we have passports.

Hello Wen, I recently retired from Customs and all you need to get back into the U.S. from canada is your passport. I know theirs a bunch of new jazz you can get and use also ( enhanced drivers license, nexus card etc. etc. ) but believe me the guy at the booth never has a problem with a U.S. passport. He'll just swipe it in his trusty passport reader, ask you a few questions ( where do you live?..why did you go to canada?..do you have anything to declare? or in other words did you buy anything in canada?, blah, blah, blah). If you did buy something in canada or if someone gave you something while you where up there you MUST declare it. The inspector will determine whether the items are admissable (95% will be ok) and whether or not there is any duty on the items. I believe U.S. citizens have a $300 or more exemption, its been awhile for me....most things made in canada and the U.S. are duty free anyway. Also agricultural jazz ( fruit, nuts, meat etc.) brought in from foreign soil must be declared. I forget whats not admissable, used to be clemintines, mangos, palm fronds, ackees etc. but I sure alot has changed since last year. Alot depends on politics believe it or not. As for tips..as a fella that worked for 20+ years on the border, the number one thing that can tick an inspector off more than anything is when someone lies to them. Never make false statements at the border. Lots of trouble! Big fines! Delays,Delays.Delays! I've seen it many times. But the worst part is they put you in the computer and your there for life, so when you cross again no matter where you'll more than likely be sent in for a closer inspection. So basically have your passports ready and declare EVERYTHING.

Hope I didn't scare you ....I used to clear thousands of honest people in 1 or 2 minutes flat . I have a feeling your going to fall into this category.....good luck...have a nice trip....

I forgot to ask about pets. Do dogs need documentation now also?

I forgot..have the dogs shot paper with you just in case. Thats all you need for the dog/cat. Never seen anyone ask for it but you never no with some of these new monkeys up there....puppies need nothing....

Three years ago I actually got a hard time for having passports!

I took two of my boys fishing in Northern MN and thought it would be fun to go into

Canada for lunch, mainly for the boys to be able to say they were in Canada. I had

recent passports for the boys due to some past work travel so I took their passports.

As usual, no problems getting into Canada, but when we were leaving I was asked for

identification and I handed over three passports. The Customs guy looked at them and

stated "You have passports for your sons". I replied yes. Then after about 30 seconds

of silence he stated again "You have passports for your sons". I then stated is there

a problem with the passports and he replied no. There was need about 60 seconds of silence

before he handed the passports back to us.

No idea what the issue was.

Dennis...

It's nice to hear a report from someone who's been "inside the booth." Thanks.

Hello Wen, I recently retired from Customs and all you need to get back into the U.S. from canada is your passport. I know theirs a bunch of new jazz you can get and use also ( enhanced drivers license, nexus card etc. etc. ) but believe me the guy at the booth never has a problem with a U.S. passport. He'll just swipe it in his trusty passport reader, ask you a few questions ( where do you live?..why did you go to canada?..do you have anything to declare? or in other words did you buy anything in canada?, blah, blah, blah). If you did buy something in canada or if someone gave you something while you where up there you MUST declare it. The inspector will determine whether the items are admissable (95% will be ok) and whether or not there is any duty on the items. I believe U.S. citizens have a $300 or more exemption, its been awhile for me....most things made in canada and the U.S. are duty free anyway. Also agricultural jazz ( fruit, nuts, meat etc.) brought in from foreign soil must be declared. I forget whats not admissable, used to be clemintines, mangos, palm fronds, ackees etc. but I sure alot has changed since last year. Alot depends on politics believe it or not. As for tips..as a fella that worked for 20+ years on the border, the number one thing that can tick an inspector off more than anything is when someone lies to them. Never make false statements at the border. Lots of trouble! Big fines! Delays,Delays.Delays! I've seen it many times. But the worst part is they put you in the computer and your there for life, so when you cross again no matter where you'll more than likely be sent in for a closer inspection. So basically have your passports ready and declare EVERYTHING.

Hope I didn't scare you ....I used to clear thousands of honest people in 1 or 2 minutes flat . I have a feeling your going to fall into this category.....good luck...have a nice trip....

Three years ago I actually got a hard time for having passports!

I took two of my boys fishing in Northern MN and thought it would be fun to go into

Canada for lunch, mainly for the boys to be able to say they were in Canada. I had

recent passports for the boys due to some past work travel so I took their passports.

As usual, no problems getting into Canada, but when we were leaving I was asked for

identification and I handed over three passports. The Customs guy looked at them and

stated "You have passports for your sons". I replied yes. Then after about 30 seconds

of silence he stated again "You have passports for your sons". I then stated is there

a problem with the passports and he replied no. There was need about 60 seconds of silence

before he handed the passports back to us.

No idea what the issue was.

Dennis...

Sounds like you got a real goofball Denis. Believe me I've worked with many over the years up there on the border. Used to be the only qualifications you need to work for Customs are " Can you walk and breathe at the same time". Pretty bad hugh ? Unfortunately, now the only qualifications you need are "none" ! There are a few decent fellas still working up there though..........a very few.......better luck next time........