Leaky roof...new question

Paul McNeil

I've recently discovered that I have a few small leaks around my swamp cooler, 1 of the popup vents, and the front over-cab windows in our 1990 Odyssey. I've read the forums, and understand that Butyl tape is the correct way to reseal around these. I'm just curious if it's worth going around the outside edges after it's been resealed with something like eternabond to help prevent future problems on the roof? I;m also thinking it may be better to do everything while I'm up there, but I'm not sure if it's worth pulling the factory AC unit that isn't leaking (yet). Are there any other "seams" I need to be worried about?

Thanks

Yes, do use the tape. Carefully clean off all the residue from previous installations. Set tape on vent and place it on the roof and screw in the screws. After this I use the self leveling sealant that comes in a caulking tube to seal the screw heads and I put a bead around the edge of the tape and roof.

Re: The AC. Sometimes the mounting bolts loosen. Take off the interior shroud and check for tightness. If they are loose tighten them a bit. Don't overtighten or you'll compress the foam seal too much. Sometimes you can see the seal around the edge of the inside opening...if so, watch it while you tighten the bolts and be sure you don't compress it all the way.

John H

SW Ohio

'86 21' Sunrader, 22RE, 43D