roof vent replacement

mikeike

One of my roof vents on my '86 toyota shasta has blown off. It was held on by rivets, so just the plastic cover itself cant just be replaced. Has anyone out there done this before? Is there a way I can just cover it?

If you have a RV store near you, obtain a new one anywhere from $8 to $15 (I paid $15 for an exact replacement). If you don't have an RV store just order it on-line. These are common to all RVs not just the Toyotas. They are very easy to replace, just take a few screws out and put the new one in place. There will be directions in the box. It took me maybe 30 minutes to replace mine.

Allen

Thanks for your help Allen. The vent housing was riveted to the plastic hatch instead of being screwed on, thats where my problem is. If it just screwed on, I would have it fixed by now. It's strange that it's not a part that can be screwed on as they obviously need replacing from time to time..

If you have a RV store near you, obtain a new one anywhere from $8 to $15 (I paid $15 for an exact replacement). If you don't have an RV store just order it on-line. These are common to all RVs not just the Toyotas. They are very easy to replace, just take a few screws out and put the new one in place. There will be directions in the box. It took me maybe 30 minutes to replace mine.

Allen

The screws I was referring to are actually the screws that hold the screen in place and the crank handle mechanism in place. After you remove those then you simply bend one or both metal tabs up on the hinge, slide the hinge pin out and remove the old cover. Put your new cover on and slide the pin back through the hinge, bend the tabs back down, reattach the crank mechanism and the screen and put the crank handle back on and you're all set. Sorry for the confusion.

Allen

Another option is to not replace the vent lid but put a MaxxAir vent cover on it.

You should be able to find one on eEbay or RV website. The MaxxAir vent will allow you to

keep the vent open all year round, when raining and over the winter. It will allow hot air to

escape at highway speeds and will let moisture out during the winter and in rain storms.

For a MaxxAir vent cover, you do not need the vent cover, just the vent base, the MaxxAir

vent cover screws into the side of the vent base, just takes about 5 to 10 minutes to install.

Dennis...