Sealers

Wales

Wales, the common wisdom is to use the same putty tape that the manufacturer used. If this was a good way to do it, you wouldn't be asking the questions.

My years spent building and living on sailboats taught me how to make fittings etc water tight. DO NOT USE SILICON SEALANTS. They break down quickly and nothing else will stick after you have used it. Use a good quality poly-urethane bedding compound. Remove the fitting, clean the old sealant off, put a bead of compound around the opening, and seat the fitting. Put a bit of bedding compound on the hold-down screws or bolts, this will stop water migrating along the thread thats much neater than glorping the screw head after it is in. Its a bit messier than putty tape, but makes a much better job. The old timers are gonna scream "you gotta use putty tape" but if you really only want to do the job one time use urethane bedding compound, it gives a flexible seal with good adhesive qualities.

A tip for getting the old sealant off, scrape off what you can, then apply some oil to it and rub off the remainder..........Tony

Wales, the common wisdom is to use the same putty tape that the manufacturer used. If this was a good way to do it, you wouldn't be asking the questions.

My years spent building and living on sailboats taught me how to make fittings etc water tight. DO NOT USE SILICON SEALANTS. They break down quickly and nothing else will stick after you have used it. Use a good quality poly-urethane bedding compound. Remove the fitting, clean the old sealant off, put a bead of compound around the opening, and seat the fitting. Put a bit of bedding compound on the hold-down screws or bolts, this will stop water migrating along the thread thats much neater than glorping the screw head after it is in. Its a bit messier than putty tape, but makes a much better job. The old timers are gonna scream "you gotta use putty tape" but if you really only want to do the job one time use urethane bedding compound, it gives a flexible seal with good adhesive qualities.

A tip for getting the old sealant off, scrape off what you can, then apply some oil to it and rub off the remainder..........Tony