Rims/Air shocks

Andy

Hello all I just bought a 1982 Toyota Huntsman 21foot and need help finding some replacement Items.

First - The passenger side dully rim is slightly bent and causes a slow leak in the tire ( outside tire) and I would like to replace it. Does anyone know where I can find the proper rim for this tire? Why are the driver side rim and the passenger side rim different? At least they are different on my RV but that is just a side question.

Second - The driver side air shock has a slow leak in it and I would like to replace it. Can I just take it down to Goodyear and get heavy duty shocks put on or do I need to replace them with ?like? air-shocks? If so where can I buy shocks that will work?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Andy

Andy - regarding your air shocks, it would be much better to just use regular stock shocks and have some air suspension bags (Firestone Rider Rite, Etc.) installed. With air shocks, you are transfering the weight from the springs to the shock mounts which were never designed for this kind of load. I have seen some badly bent and broken mounts from air shock use. Unfortunately, the air bag suspension system is pricey, as the frame mounts have to be fabricated because there are no kits available for our rigs. The cost to do our 18 Ft. Sunrader was about $900 installed, but it gives us up to an extra 3" of clearance at the rear bumper and has been totally trouble free so far. If you opt to replace the air shocks, it would probably be a good idea to have the shock mounts beefed up.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

We had our airbags installed to get more ground clearance in the rear. We had only used our rig for a few hundred miles before we had the bags installed, and I don't think there was much difference in the handling after the installation of the bags. It does not seem to affect the ride any as far as comfort, and I think the side-to-side stability is better. If you are not concerned with the ground clearance and the rear springs still have a positive arc to them, it's probably not worth the expense. Our rig is a 1982 18 foot Sunrader, and we definitely needed the clearance in the rear to get up our steep driveway without the rear dragging. I hope this info helps!

Bill