What years would work for Axle on 84 New Horizon

Hi All...

Newbie to the RV world...this site and owning a Toyota pickup even....so I think I may be a regular here soon...lol

I was lucky enough to have my wife and I fall in love with a little 1984 New Horizon so I bought it and drove it home about 140 miles. Along the way I heard some noises that I was unsure of so first thing in the morning I googled it and I bet you all know what I found....errr!

So now I have this camper that we had planned opn taking on a very long road trip (thus why I wanted a Toyota) but I am scared to drive it out of my driveway after reading about all the axle failures.

I would really like to get the axle upgrade done but a) hardly have any money and B) not too knowledgable with mechanic work.

First thing I would like to know though is what years can I use if I find a "1 Ton" axle setup?

Or is it the "size that matters"?...lol (she says it doesn't but we'll see...lol)

Also is there any other pointers...tips or tricks that anyone can give me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you and look forward to becoming part of this community.

Christian