Rear Tail Lights 86 Dolphin

Lono77

Hello Everyone,

I'm a proud new owner of an 86 Dolphin! I just replaced the filler neck, resealing windows and vents, and working on the electrical.

I'm having problems with the rear lights. I cleaned them out with carb cleaner and a wire brush, but can't seem to get the lights working the way they're suppose to. One of the blinkers doesn't work, reverse lights don't work, and when pressing the brake, the running lights dim.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is replace the entire housing. Is this an option? Is there a shop that sells parts for my Dolphin?

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Howdy Lono.

I studied your post for a while, and blew the dust off a few thoughts. Take some 80 grit sandpaper and , after removing the lenses on your rear lights, sand and clean all the bulb contacts. The taillights dimming when hitting the brakes usually means a ground contact is corroded. This is common in an ol' motorhome. If someone installed a trailer harness, sometimes these things get corroded also. I took my trailer harness off, the green gunge was rampant where they used scotch locks to tap into wires. Yessir boy, I would love to get my hands on people that scotch lock and electrical tape trailer harnesses under the vehicle ! That process yells, " Hey ! Come and get me, you great big green corrosive agent, you!"

Now I gotta go somewhere and get my pulse rate down.

#$@%^%&**&&

If the housing for lights in back is aluminum the rivets that connect the ground wires from one to the other can be kind of tightened with two hammers, also using a volt meter going back in series on the grounds shouldn’t read much it does it’s a indication of resistance some where along the path your reading.