towing with a dolphin

lars

I rently purchased a 1979 toyota dolphin with 59000 original miles in good condition-I want to tow my Harley on a lightweight trailer behind me-I need a hitch that will pull a thousand pounds-Im looking for help from anyone with experience in this area

Hello Lars,

30 years old and 54000 miles. WOW! It's good for another 100,000 miles with TLC.

I've got an '84 Dolphin that the previous owners towed an older VW bug and hauled

a Honda 90 on the rear bumper rack. The receiver hitch was professionally welded to the frame

and I see zero signs of stress or cracking or damage of any kind. Believe me, I looked good and hard at it before purchasing.

Good luck

T.A.J.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very clearly stated in your owners manual that your Toyhome is not suited for towing anything. You are already at GVW and any added hitch would be on the end of 4' frame extensions that are already stressed.

I rant on this subject often, but still those that are much smarter than me insist on towing because someone else they know "has never had an accident towing their (fill in objects name here)" so therefore it is safe.

The brakes are already at max rating, the frame has been overextended and the tires may be near their maximum load. In reality a true "Professional" hitch shop won't even put a hitch on a Toyota motorhome because they know it's already overloaded.

But I can only suggest...

Sunrader Bob

It's very clearly stated in your owners manual that your Toyhome is not suited for towing anything. You are already at GVW and any added hitch would be on the end of 4' frame extensions that are already stressed.

I rant on this subject often, but still those that are much smarter than me insist on towing because someone else they know "has never had an accident towing their (fill in objects name here)" so therefore it is safe.

The brakes are already at max rating, the frame has been overextended and the tires may be near their maximum load. In reality a true "Professional" hitch shop won't even put a hitch on a Toyota motorhome because they know it's already overloaded.

But I can only suggest...

Sunrader Bob

Hey all'

Obviously there are people who just wont take no (as in towing) for an answer , in spite of all the warnings. I personally choose not to tow, although when I first bought my toy I considered it. Thanks to all of your warnings , you probably saved mine and my families lives. Last week I saw a toy pulling a box-truck as long as the camper (20ft). I hope he finds this forum. People please listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about!! Obviously it would be nice to have all of our toys with us but it is just not worth the risk. Happy and safe camping to all. COACH

Of course I'm gonna argue the other side, I tow a trailer. We did 10,000 miles this winter towing a 1,000 lb trailer. Out total wt was 7,000lbs. I would prefer to have brakes on the trailer for obvious reasons. I used to manufacture trailers in San Diego, and have designed and built many. Driving a trailer requires skills that many dont have but are not difficult to learn (I also used to drive logging trucks in the mountains of BC). I absolutely agree that tongue wt is critical and must be kept to a minimum. Towing a car 4 down puts no tongue wt on the Toyota but oh the load on the drive train and brakes. If you do a careful job of installing/engineering a hitch, tow a competent trailer, and drive it within the envelope you will be ok.

There is one massive drawback that no one seems to recognize, if you are involved in an accident you could easily be found criminally liable for operating a vehicle loaded more heavily than its rated limit. ........Tony.

PS Driving is one of the few things that you do which, if you make a simple mistake, could land you in jail charged with manslaughter. Once I realized this my professional driving came to a quick end.