I have a 1978 Tugbuggy with a 20r engine & 4 speed transmission. Who knows how many thousand miles. She is old but goes down the road like a caddy. If the shift stick is pulled too far to the left when shifting to first & second it feels like it is going into gear, but goes nowhere. Also it locks up in first gear now & then. Either of these is bad when in traffic. Is there a fix short of a transmission rebuild/replace? If not, anyone have a recommendation on where to get a replacement? Thanks, Champ

Mine is a lot newer it started getting hard to get in gear and sometime's jumping out of gear,at first I thought it was something big but it was just some of the bushings right where the shift lever comes out of the trans I did everything from inside the cab,it didn't even have much slop but the bushings made all the difference.

Mine is a lot newer it started getting hard to get in gear and sometime's jumping out of gear,at first I thought it was something big but it was just some of the bushings right where the shift lever comes out of the trans I did everything from inside the cab,it didn't even have much slop but the bushings made all the difference.

This is a common problem in later H42 LandCruiser transmissions as well. The cure is a new "seat" for the stick. Pretty easy fix if you know a couple of tricks and can be done from inside the vehicle by removing the boot and stick.