Help! Looking at '83 Dolphin w/ 5 lug nuts

explorersexpressed

Hi,

We have the opportunity to purchase an '83 Dolphin (22 Limited Edition) in great condition and with only 50K miles for $4,700. The only problem is that through research on this website we learned the importance of having 6 lugs vs 5 lugs in relation to the rear axle. We just got back from taking another look at the Dolphin and counted only 5 lugs. We are wondering if we should go ahead with the purchase and focus on getting a new rear axle or not? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are a bit short on time.

thanks!

Hello,

In order to get it to a 6 bolt axle, you would probably end up spending another $2.000

(and time and travel), which brings the price up to $6,700 which sounds a bit high for an 83 Dolphin.

For $6,700 you sholuld be able to find a newer RV, even a V6 model.

Dennis...

Hi,

Dennis is right. You might tell them about the rear axle and ask them if they would come down on the price. The more people find out about these old, dangerous axles, the harder it will become to sell these for higher prices. If they won't budge, it would be best to move on in your search. You will find the right one so don't give up!

Dianne

Hello

I was also looking at a Dolphin. I had actually put money down on it, only to find out here about the 5 lug issue. Sure enough it had the 5 lug rear axil. To me that was the deal buster. I was lucky to be dealing with somenoe nice enough to retun my (small) deposit as he had other people interested. I did infomr him of the issue of the 5 lug axil...

To make a long story short, about a week later at a local RV place we found out "Sweetness" 1986 Sunrader 6 lug axil....(see picture) .... :ThumbUp: