1987 Dolphin motorhome

cliff880

This Dolphin has sat for the past two years and the fuel smelled like varnish so I decided to drain and drop the tank but after inspecting the vehicle I decided to cut a scuttle hole under the seat and remove and replace the pump this way and it works like a charm but now my gauge doesn't work!!Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?The only wiring that I had contact with was the pos and neg terminals.

This Dolphin has sat for the past two years and the fuel smelled like varnish so I decided to drain and drop the tank but after inspecting the vehicle I decided to cut a scuttle hole under the seat and remove and replace the pump this way and it works like a charm but now my gauge doesn't work!!Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?The only wiring that I had contact with was the pos and neg terminals.

Take the sending unit out and connect an ohm meter to the wires. Move the float slowly up and down. The ohm meter should indicate an increase or decrease of resistance. If the resistance doesnt move then the sender is bad or may need the contacts cleaned.

Hope that helps

David - aka highschoollibrarian

I dropped my fuel tank once and the wires to the sending unit were frayed right at the point where they entered the unit. Just jiggling the wires a little shorted them out. I did manage to repair the wires and calibrate the guage while I had the tank out. The sending unit should measure 20 ohms in the Full position and 130 ohms in the Empty position. Also the connector could be bad. I have the carb engine so the fuel pump is not in the tank. I can't remember if the fuel injected model has the sending unit and pump in the same hole, but check for dirty/frayed wiring.

Allen