Sunrader Question

bufbooth

Dennis, I believe 1977 is the first year and they were 17' in length. Had a lift-up rear door. Likely had the 18R or 20R 4 cylinder engine.

Question for you: on your roof rack, what did you use as stancions to screw to the roof? And are they galvanized steel, PVC, or other material?

Rich

When did they first start making Sunraders?

I just found a 1977 one...I thought they started in the 80s.

Dennis...

Hello Rich,

I built the canoe rack out of galvanized water/gas pipe, cannot recall what width, I think it was one inchers.

It was easy to construct using the pipe, just screwed together and the hardware store had pretty much any

size length by the inch, and if needed would cut and tread a piece. I used all off the shelf pieces. The pipe

screwed into a base (about 5 inches round). I then purchased a 16 foot piece of composite deck board, that

was 6 inches wide and I think 1.5 inches thick. I then cut the board into two 8 foot pieces in the parking lot

of the hardware store. Nice think about the composite board is that it does not warp or rot. I countered

synced holes in the composite board for the bolts to secure the water pipe base to. I layed one board on

each side of the roof, right at the edge. I used four 1/4 x 5 inch wood screw (hex heads) on each board to

secure the composite boards to the roof. The screws came through the ceiling about one inch. I measured

where to put the holes so that all the screws would go into the cabinets or the closet. I do strap the canoe

down on the front and rear bumpers, so the only job that the screws have is to keep the rack from moving.

Others have used bolts to go through the roof and then used Fender washers.

Here are some pictures of the roof rack. www.tipton-in.com/canoe

Water pipe is also a good material to use to replace (or add) the rear roof rack..ACE from this site did that

this summer and did a great job...but I did catch him on top of my motorhome a few times (ACE lives about

10 miles from me).

Dennis...

Dennis, I believe 1977 is the first year and they were 17' in length. Had a lift-up rear door. Likely had the 18R or 20R 4 cylinder engine.

Question for you: on your roof rack, what did you use as stancions to screw to the roof? And are they galvanized steel, PVC, or other material?

Rich