Swapping out truck on 82 Mirage

stan6676@aol.com

Well I've really stepped into it this time!! I have a 30' MinnieWinnie that I had for my wife before she passed. But I couldn't afford to use it this last summer, 8 mpg = $.50/mile!! I was thinking about just taking a minivan and raising the roof to use as a traveling van, near 24mpg. I ran across your site and I was telling son-in-law about and he tells me about one setting in driveway. Was an 82 Mirage 16'. Talked to owner who was selling his house said it was a project but he was about to move. We 'make offered' back and forth, finally I said 300, he said could I make it 350? Deal!!

Truck (1980) is in rough shape, rust, has some kind of carb problem according to owner. Camper shell is ok but all interior cushions, wall fabric, and carpeting has been removed. Not self-contained, no range or propane, not really any sink or shower. Yes I'd call it a project but am I up to it?

To get to real issues, it has 5 bolt rear axels with fat single wheels (P275/60 R14s) on rear which I think are OK on 16' RVs, only shows 3550 lbs on title. It has 22E 4cyl w/ man 4 speed, which I'm led to believe is pretty weak. Considering the amount of work involved in rebuilding camper, how big of job is it to pull camper off a put on a newer truck. With all the axel, carb, and weak engine problems I'm thinking about a 94 to 96 Mini-truck w/V-6 Auto, maybe 4 wheel drive (I live in Michigan). Maybe (gasp!) not even a Toyota.

Would like to get some guidance (even if it's 'sell & run'). Thanks for taking the time to help out this old retiree.

I did a chassis swap last year with an older sunrader. For me it was a huge project because I stripped the new chassis down to the frame and built it up from there. Plus I had to extend my frame. If you started with a newer model long bed Toyota that was in nice shape it shouldn't be too bad as long as it is a long bed so you dont have to mess with lengthening the frame. Start off by removing the camper from the old motorhome and take a look at the frame. most likely there was a subframe welded to it to support the camper. Then find yourself a truck and remove the box. Just build a new subframe to match up exactly with the old one and it should go on without too much work. On mine i had to sit the camper slightly higher so that the newer style doors would open without hitting it but on a mirage I think you will be alright. The cab should be about the right height from the frame if it is an 89 to 94. Not sure about the other years. You will also have to add some leafs to your suspension. It would be nice if you could find a 4 wheel drive. Might be kinda tough with long bed though.

Thanks for the input Monty.....

Why would I need a long bed? Its only 16' model, 9' from front axel to back. How heavy was camper portion? Do they make 4x4s with an auto trans? Thanks again for taking the time .... Stan

I am assumming it is similar to the mirages that I have seen. They were on a long bed chassis. Do you have any pics of it? I would estimate the camper part of my sunrader to be around 1500 pounds. I would guess that yours is close to that but maybe a bit lighter.

.BMP Monty ... Its not mine, but it looks just like this one

Monty, Hit this website for a real nice one. Sorry I've never used a 'forum' before, not very good at it .... Stan

http://home.comcast.net/~ron.dittmer/RVSale.html